lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Git Policy/Preference: how to fold in feature branches? squash?
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2016 20:28:37 GMT
> But it's a judgement call.

I think most things in git are. That's why I wasn't really excited
about having an official "how to commit" guide -- it is really a
subjective decision how to fold in a set of commits. I sometimes even
do:

git merge --no-ff branch

to explicitly preserve an explicit merge commit even when a fast
forward is possible. This way I see the whole feature as a deviation
from the main line of development.

> In this case though, the branch has lots of tiny commits -- not because i
> thought they were good and self contained, but because i was having
> problems and wanted to share the current state with folks to seek feedback
> & help in diagnosing problems.

> i think squashing makes the most sense.

I agree. It helps a lot, especially for self-contained things.

Dawid