lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Anshum Gupta <ans...@anshumgupta.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Lucene/Solr release management
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2016 15:58:17 GMT
Thanks for starting this Steve!

I think your intention here to create a parallel documentation is because
the current documentation is (or at least was) broken at multiple places
and unless someone knew where to look/fix, the path forward isn't obvious.
I'm +1 on that.

I really think we need more automation and if not complete automation, on
the lines of what Hoss suggested, have the release scripts spit out the
commands to be executed without the RM needing to remember all of it. The
RM should _ideally_ only be bothered about the release version and timing
of the release. Having a bunch of manual steps there doesn't really help
anyone. I agree that the script shouldn't automatically push stuff but a
local commit should work just fine.

In terms of documenting, I liked the idea that you and me discussed during
the 5.5.1 release about having the essentials in a doc (wiki or whatever)
but having details documented in the script itself.