lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Białecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Git notifications for work-in-progress branches
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2016 11:36:19 GMT
Hi devs,

First, let me apologize for the tons of notification emails that the commits@ list has received
recently due to my changes - I’m new to the git workflow at Apache, and it looks like I
made a few missteps…

Still, I think there’s some room for improvement to the current notification model, so that
it accommodates for work in progress commits, and most importantly occasional merging / rebasing
from other branches:

* first, Shalin and I have used a ‘feature/metrics’ branch. As David Smiley kindly pointed
out this branch doesn’t follow the ‘lucene-‘ or ‘solr-‘ naming scheme so the git
bot didn’t know to suppress the notifications on commits there. This should be fixed once
INFRA-13133 is resolved (and probably a note should be added to this effect in the git guide
for committers),

* but even for a branch that follows this naming (jira/solr-9854) merging from master produced
as many emails as there were commits between branches. Branching is a low cost operation in
git (unlike in svn), so creating branches for even short-term work is attractive because it
exposes work in progress to others and lets them collaborate. Longer-lived branches need occasional
merging / rebasing so that they are reasonably up to date with master, but now each time this
happens it will produce an avalanche of emails… The alternative would be to always merge
—squash from master to a feature branch, so that it creates a single commit, but then it’s
harder to merge it back and to track changes from master that may have affected your work.

So, I don’t think this level of detail is useful for work in progress branches. Is there
any way for the bot to eg. combine notifications from these branches into a single email,
a la ‘git diff —stat’ ?

---
Best regards,

Andrzej Bialecki