lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Lucene/Solr 7
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2017 19:51:36 GMT
On 1/25/2017 10:36 AM, Tomás Fernández Löbbe wrote:
> I think it would be great if we could use 7.0 to make point fields the
> default in Solr (i.e. change the example/default schemas to make
> "int", "long" etc use point fields implementation), but in order to do
> that, there are a number of point-related Jiras that need to be solved
> (MultiValued DV support to begin with, but there are other features
> that are still not working with points). I guess we can decide closer
> to the date, depending on how stable and feature complete they are.

The fast deprecation of the legacy numeric types has strong potential to
impact a very large number of people who use older versions of *any*
software based on Lucene, including Elasticsearch and Solr.  If their
current configuration uses the legacy types, they will be unable to
upgrade to software using Lucene 7.0 and keep using their existing indexes.

If the legacy numeric types are removed from 7.0 in accordance with the
way deprecation is usually handled, at least one minor Solr 6.x release
should have point fields as the default numeric type before 7.0 gets
released.  Two or three releases would be better.

Because Solr does not yet have points support, we are already looking at
a situation where all current Solr users upgrading to 7.0 are going to
need to completely reindex.  It will not be possible to keep using an
existing index, regardless of the version.

I can think of two alternate ideas that would ease the pain even more:
1) Write a Lucene converter, similar to IndexUpgrader, or possibly
*part* of IndexUpgrader in 6.x, that has the option of converting legacy
numeric types to points.  2) Delay the removal of the legacy types until
8.0.  Delaying would give users more time to migrate their configs and
complete the necessary reindex before upgrading to a version that
requires it.  One of these alternate solutions would be as much a
benefit to users of older Elasticsearch versions as it would be to Solr
users.

Thanks,
Shawn