lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Solr web page changes
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2017 18:22:27 GMT
On 1/12/2017 12:35 AM, Jan Høydahl wrote:
> Good points, see proposed rephrasing
> in http://lucene.staging.apache.org/solr/community.html
>
> I think people understand that in the context of an Apache open source
> project, the word “Support” means all kind of question answering,
> bug-fixes etc that the community provides. But it could perhaps
> bestated in a better way in that paragraph?

This is how I would phrase it (starting with what's on the staging site):

"Older versions are considered EOL (End Of Life) and will not be further
updated.  Because there can be no further changes, it may also be
difficult to obtain community support for the older versions."

I think it's a good idea to start a new paragraph after that statement.
I would also rephrase a later sentence, mostly because of the incorrect
word (braking) it currently contains:

"Large changes or changes that break compatibility with existing
functionality are normally made only in the "master" branch, which will
be released as the the next major version (currently 7.0)."

Thanks,
Shawn