lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Solr web page changes
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2017 22:36:01 GMT
Thanks. I included your suggestions. The whole paragraph now reads:

Apache Solr is under active development with frequent feature releases on the current major
version (e.g. 6.x). The previous major version (e.g. 5.5) may still receive security- and
bug fixes as point releases, thus taking the role of the LTS (Long Term Support) version.
Older versions are considered EOL (End Of Life) and will not be further updated. For this
reason it may also be difficult to obtain community support for EOL versions. Large changes
or changes that break compatibility with existing functionality are normally only included
in the next major version (e.g. 7.0). For more about versions and upgrading Solr, see the
Reference Guide chapter “Upgrading Solr” <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Upgrading+Solr>.

I don’t like putting version numbers into the website, since they WILL be out of date at
some point. But it is hard to explain three generations without giving examples, suggestions
for how to avoid it?

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com