lucene-dev mailing list archives

From David Smiley <david.w.smi...@gmail.com>
Subject Solr Ref Guide, Highlighting
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2017 23:03:10 GMT
Solr 6.4 is the first release to introduce the UnifiedHighlighter as a new
highlighter option.  I want to get it documented reasonably well in the
Solr Ref Guide.  The Highlighters section is here: Highlighting
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Highlighting>   (lets see
if this formatted email expands to the URL when it lands on the list)

Unless anyone objects, I'd like to rename the "Standard Highlighter" as
"Original Highlighter" in the ref guide.  The original Highlighter has no
actual name qualifications as it was indeed Lucene's original Highlighter.
 "Standard Highlighter" as a name purely exists as-such within the Solr
Reference Guide only.  In our code it's used by "DefaultSolrHighlighter"
which is really a combo of the original Highlighter and
FastVectorHighlighter.   DSH ought to be refactored perhaps... but I
digress.

For those that haven't read CHANGES.txt yet, there is a new "hl.method"
parameter which can be used to pick your highlighter.  Here I purposely
chose a possible value of "original" to choose the original Highlighter
(not "standard").

I haven't started documenting yet but I plan to refactor the highlighter
docs a bit.  The intro page will better discuss the highlighter options and
also how to configure both term vectors and offsets in postings.  Then the
highlighter implementation specific pages will document the parameters and
any configuration specific to them.  I'm a bit skeptical we need a page
dedicated to the PostingsHighlighter as the UnifiedHighlighter is a
derivative of it, supporting all it's options and more.  In that sense,
maybe people are fine with it only being in the ref guide as a paragraph or
two on the UH page describing how to activate it.  I suppose it's
effectively deprecated.

~ David