lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 10 Resource Leak warnings dated to Q2 2017
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2017 15:45:02 GMT
bq:  making precommit fail for some but not all resource leaks.
Implementation wise, how might one go about that?

No clue, hoping somebody who _does_ have clue will just say "oh, you
just specify blah blah blah" ;)

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Christine Poerschke (BLOOMBERG/
LONDON) <cpoerschke@bloomberg.net> wrote:
> Hi Erick,
>
> Thanks for the extra context re: JavaBinCodec and SOLR-10779.
>
> I agree that backporting warning fixes to 6x is optional at this point and for complex
fixes probably not worth the risk of introducing subtle bugs in the process.

> +1 to your idea of making precommit fail for some but not all resource leaks. Implementation
wise, how might one go about that? Redirecting precommit output and post-processing it should
be do-able but seems hacky ...

> Christine

attached to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-10778 and it was generated by the also
attached shell script that correlates warnings with git commit history.

>> Any help to investigate and take care of these warnings would be appreciated. The
short term goal is to not increase the number of warnings we have and in the medium to long
term the goal would be to fail precommit if any warnings are detected.

>> Christine
>>
>> PS: @SuppressWarnings("resource") can be used to suppress inappropriate warnings
and Erick Erickson is already looking into warnings related to JavaBinCodec.