lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Ready for JDK 9 ?
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2017 11:31:09 GMT

________________________________
From: Rory O'Donnell <rory.odonnell@oracle.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 8, 2017 6:03 AM
To: Dawid Weiss; Uwe Schindler
Cc: rory.odonnell@oracle.com; Dalibor Topic; Balchandra Vaidya; Muneer Kolarkunnu; dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Ready for JDK 9 ?

Hi Uwe & Dawid,

Thank you very much for all your testing of JDK 9 during its
development! Such contributions have significantly helped shape and
improve JDK 9.

Now that we have reached the JDK 9 Final Release Candidate phase [1] , I
would like to ask if your project can be considered to be 'ready for JDK
9', or if there are any remaining show stopper issues which you've
encountered when testing with the JDK 9 release candidate.

MG>do you know if Oracle dropping IIOMetadata*.* (JPEG Metadata Parse classes)?
MG>I am noticing "will be deprecated in future release" messages
MG>i am using drew noakes (Adobe) XMP parser
MG>but the integration with Oracles base IIOMetadata classes isnt 100% successful

MG>JPEG spec I am referencing is at https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/javax/imageio/metadata/doc-files/jpeg_metadata.html
JPEG Metadata Format Specification and Usage Notes<https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/javax/imageio/metadata/doc-files/jpeg_metadata.html>
docs.oracle.com
NOTE: It is important to call dispose() on the JPEG reader and writer objects when they are
no longer needed, as they consume significant native resources which are ...

MG>can you recommend working alternatives such as Jai or commons-imaging for testing getAsTree,
mergeTree and setFromTree?
MG>Thanks Rory!

JDK 9  b181 is available at http://jdk.java.net/9/
JDK 9 Early-Access Builds<http://jdk.java.net/9/>
jdk.java.net
Notes. Full JDK 9 downloads are larger than full JDK 8 downloads because they include JMOD
files so that you can experiment with creating custom run-time images.

If you have a public web page, mailing list post, or even a tweet
announcing you project's readiness for JDK 9, I'd love to add the URL to
the upcoming JDK 9 readiness page on the Quality Outreach wiki.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Rory

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk9/
JDK 9 project page - OpenJDK<http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk9/>
openjdk.java.net
JDK 9. The goal of this Project is to produce an open-source reference implementation of the
Java SE 9 Platform defined by JSR 379 in the Java Community Process.

--
Rgds,Rory O'Donnell
Quality Engineering Manager