lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Rowe <sar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release a 6.6.1
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2017 22:41:24 GMT
Hi Varun,

I’m not sure what’s happening, but I’d guess that “result = p.poll()” in runAndSendGPGPassword()
indicates that the process hasn’t completed or has an error condition.  Maybe print out
“result"?  The python docs say that None is returned when the process hasn’t completed.

If the process hasn’t completed, then it’s just a matter of waiting until it does.  The
loop that looks for a password prompt has an exit condition of an empty line returned from
p.stdout.readline(), but maybe there should be an additional exit condition: p.poll() returning
non-None.

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> On Aug 23, 2017, at 5:51 PM, Varun Thacker <varun@vthacker.in> wrote:
>
> So I tried again and ran into the same issue -
>
>   File "dev-tools/scripts/buildAndPushRelease.py", line 114, in prepare
>     runAndSendGPGPassword(cmd, gpgPassword)
>   File "dev-tools/scripts/buildAndPushRelease.py", line 60, in runAndSendGPGPassword
>     raise RuntimeError(msg)
> RuntimeError:     FAILED: ant -Dversion=6.6.1 -Dgpg.key=7F3DE8DA prepare-release [see
log /tmp/release.log]

> At this point I took the the runAndSendGPGPassword method and ran it from a separate
python program and it passed. So not sure why it fails when used directly from buildAndPushRelease
especially since the output shows build successful for the "prepare-release" target and the
"sign-artifacts" target completed as well.

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 9:11 PM, Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Cool, all the best! In cases when the release process completed without further errors,
except for the one above, the generated artifacts eventually failed the smoke test (with some
missing signature files error). So, I had to redo them making sure that the sign-artifacts
step was not missed (I remember waiting for that step in order to wait for the password prompt).

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Varun Thacker <varun@vthacker.in> wrote:
> Hi Ishan,
>
> That's useful info!
>
> The failure I posted was from my second attempt with "export GPG_TTY=$(tty)" present.
I was prompted the password.

> Once I entered the password the "sign-artifacts:" phase looks to have completed. The
attached output doesn't even show a failure.

> I'm going to give it another try in the meanwhile
>
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Varun, I had the same issue. Please see my notes in the end of the ReleaseToDo section.
>
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Varun Thacker <varun@vthacker.in> wrote:
> An update on the RC build : In the first couple of attempts a Solr test would fail so
the process would get aborted.

> Then I hit "gpg: signing failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device" in the "prepare-release"
phase. I was able to fix this by installing a couple of extra packages and following some
instructions online.

> In the last attempt I hit this:
>
> Prepare release...
>   git pull...
>   git clone is clean
>   git rev: f4fb90886690c829a062f4243a62825f810ad359
>   Check DOAP files
>   ant clean test validate documentation-lint
>   lucene prepare-release
>     FAILED: ant -Dversion=6.6.1 -Dgpg.key=7F3DE8DA prepare-release [see log /tmp/release.log]
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "dev-tools/scripts/buildAndPushRelease.py", line 313, in <module>
>     main()
>   File "dev-tools/scripts/buildAndPushRelease.py", line 294, in main
>     rev = prepare(c.root, c.version, c.key_id, c.key_password)
>   File "dev-tools/scripts/buildAndPushRelease.py", line 114, in prepare
>     runAndSendGPGPassword(cmd, gpgPassword)
>   File "dev-tools/scripts/buildAndPushRelease.py", line 60, in runAndSendGPGPassword
>     raise RuntimeError(msg)
> RuntimeError:     FAILED: ant -Dversion=6.6.1 -Dgpg.key=7F3DE8DA prepare-release [see
log /tmp/release.log]

> Here's the release.log output : https://www.dropbox.com/s/yssvqbwcpjrq7ah/release.log?dl=0
which seems to indicate that it succeeded ?

> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 8:10 AM, Varun Thacker <varun@vthacker.in> wrote:
> Hi Uwe,
>
> I can backport it and then I'll begin working on the RC
>
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 2:17 AM, Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> The windows startup script fix was committed to 7.0, but not 6.6.1. If Varun has time
to test the fixes in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8689 we may include them,
but I left them out for now. Please reopen the issue if you think it’s worth. It should
be a simple cherry pick.

> Uwe
>

> -----
>
> Uwe Schindler
>
> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
>
> http://www.thetaphi.de

Java 9? Currently you cannot start Solr on Windows systems, as the version number checking
and the GC options are not working. It’s https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8689
- I am just waiting for feedback and wanted to put it into 7.0. But if there is interest,
I can backport to 6.6, too (not yet planned).

> Yesterday (before your mail), I already backported a Hadoop 2.7.2 -> 2.7.4 update,
so it works now with Java 9. This made the ugly workaround obsolete (changing java.version
sysprop temporarily). This fix is now in 6.6.1 and 7.0 branch.

> Uwe
>

> -----
>
> Uwe Schindler
>
> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
>
> http://www.thetaphi.de

course. He may be traveling though and be a little delayed responding.

> Erick
>

> On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 5:41 AM, Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> I just noticed, that our Hadoop friends released Hadoop 2.7.4. This fixes the stupid
Java 9 bug in their static initializer (StringIndexOutOfBounds). So I’d like to also get
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-11261 in. If Jenkins is happy on 7.x and master,
this should be easy.

> If you think it’s too risky (Hadoop 2.7.2 -> 2.7.4), we can live with the workaround
in Lucene 6.6.1! But the workaround is really hacky: It changes the “java.version” system
property temporarily on Java 9 while initializing Hadoop, which is not something you should
ever do!

> Uwe
>

> -----
>
> Uwe Schindler