lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Alexey Timofeev <a.o.timof...@gmail.com>
Subject Updating doc values field
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2017 11:01:18 GMT
Hello!

We are using Solr and sometimes perform partial updates for doc values
fields. It takes significant time because each update results in recreation
of *.dvd and *.dvm files. As far as I understand API of DV codecs by it's
nature implies recreation of whole file on disk. (By API I mean here
DocValuesConsumer and DocValuesProducer.)

Here is my question: why nobody tried to support not rewriting whole *.dvd
file, but just update only changed values? It would perform much-much
faster. Are there some ideological or technical obstacles? Is it just the
desire to keep segment files immutable?

Looking forward for your replies.