lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Combine SolrDocumentFetcher and RetrieveFieldsOptimizer?
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2018 17:07:28 GMT
We have SolrDocumentFetcher and RetrieveFieldsOptimizer. The
relationship between the two is unclear at first glance. Using
SolrDocumentFetcher by itself is (or can be) inefficient.

WDYT about combining the two? Is there a good reason you would want to
use SolrDocumentFetcher _instead_ of RetrieveFieldsOptimizer?

Ideally I'd want to be able to write code like:

solrDocumentFetcher.fillDocValuesMostEfficiently

That created an optimizer and "did the right thing".

Is this desirable/possible? Suggestions? Should I raise an improvement JIRA?