lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Speeding up the really slow Solr tests
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2018 12:52:54 GMT
> *think* your idea is that "ant test" would run the (probably quicker) unit tests, but
"ant precommit" would run a larger set that includes integration.

Not necessarily in "precommit" but perhaps "ant integrationtest" or something. The risk is
that they fall under the radar and become even more rotten than they are already. So alternatively
include them by default but have a flag that will exclude them for everyday (and Lucene?)
use.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 14. aug. 2018 kl. 14:29 skrev Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org>:
>
> On 8/14/2018 6:13 AM, Jan Høydahl wrote:
>> Is is normally a good practice to separate unit tests from integration tests, but
with Solr we run all tests (except nightly and badapple) every time.
>> I think it would help everyday development workflow if the normal "ant test" runs
would exclude integration tests (spinning up clusters etc), but rather
>> require those to be run before actually committing. Before we make such a change
we'd probably need to look at the code coverage without those
>> integration tests and add more unit tests to cover weak areas with stubbed/mocked
unit tests.

> If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like a good idea.  ( *think* your idea
is that "ant test" would run the (probably quicker) unit tests, but "ant precommit" would
run a larger set that includes integration.  Probably going to need a new annotation.

> I do think that integration tests that are actually expecting a timeout should be expedited
when possible.  I can't say how frequently that would be possible -- I'm not very familiar
with all the inner workings of SolrCloud, its interaction with ZK, and how the tests work.
 I suspect that most integration test where we are NOT trying to cause failures with timeouts
probably will run relatively quickly, though I am sure there are some where this is not the
case.