lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Lucene/Solr 7.5
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2018 21:47:31 GMT
Jim, I just committed the last part of LUCENE-5143 regarding build changes related to KEYS
file.
Feel free to test the buildAndPushRelease.py and smokeTestRelease.py scripts locally before
the RC on friday, to check that they work on your computer as well :)
I'll update ReleaseTodo accordingly.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 11. sep. 2018 kl. 23:35 skrev Varun Thacker <varun@vthacker.in>:
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> You beat me to it :) Yeah after looking at Joel's comments there might be some more work
involved. So no point rushing it in 7.5 .

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 1:16 PM jim ferenczi <jim.ferenczi@gmail.com <mailto:jim.ferenczi@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Sorry but this was just committed to master and branch_7x and I see some discussions
regarding the implication of this change. Is it really safe to include it in 7.5 ?

> Le mar. 11 sept. 2018 à 21:43, Varun Thacker <varun@vthacker.in <mailto:varun@vthacker.in>>
a écrit :
> Hi Jim,
>
> I'd like to backport SOLR-11836 if that's okay with you. It's a trivial fix which I committed
to master and branch_7x a little while ago.

on Jenkins: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Jenkins#Jenkins-HowdoIgetanaccount
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Jenkins#Jenkins-HowdoIgetanaccount>

> I’ll go create the 7.5 jobs now.
>
> --
> Steve
> www.lucidworks.com <http://www.lucidworks.com/>
>
> > On Sep 11, 2018, at 11:32 AM, jim ferenczi <jim.ferenczi@gmail.com <mailto:jim.ferenczi@gmail.com>>
wrote:

> > No worries at all Cassandra. What do you think of building the first RC on Friday
and start the vote on Monday next week ? This will leave some
> > room to finish the missing bits.
> > Could someone help to setup the Jenkins releases build ? It seems that I cannot
create jobs with my account.

> > Le mar. 11 sept. 2018 à 14:08, Cassandra Targett <casstargett@gmail.com <mailto:casstargett@gmail.com>>
a écrit :
> > Sorry, Jim, I should have replied yesterday about the state of things with the Ref
Guide - it's close. I'm doing the last bit of big review I need to do and am nearly done with
that, then I have a couple more small things done (including SOLR-12763 which I just created
since I forgot to do it earlier). My goal is to be done by the end of my day today so you
could do the RC tomorrow, but who knows what the day will bring work-wise, so I'll send another
mail at the end of the day my time to let you know for sure.

> > On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 9:07 AM jim ferenczi <jim.ferenczi@gmail.com <mailto:jim.ferenczi@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> > I just fixed the invalid version (7.5.1) that I added in master and 7x. The next
version on these branches should be 7.6.0, sorry for the noise.

> > Le lun. 10 sept. 2018 à 09:26, jim ferenczi <jim.ferenczi@gmail.com <mailto:jim.ferenczi@gmail.com>>
a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > Feature freeze for 7.5 has started, I just created a branch_7_5.:
> >
> > * No new features may be committed to the branch.
> > * Documentation patches, build patches and serious bug fixes may be committed to
the branch. However, you should submit all patches you want to commit to Jira first to give
others the chance to review and possibly vote against the patch. Keep in mind that it is our
main intention to keep the branch as stable as possible.
> > * All patches that are intended for the branch should first be committed to the
unstable branch, merged into the stable branch, and then into the current release branch.
> > * Normal unstable and stable branch development may continue as usual. However,
if you plan to commit a big change to the unstable branch while the branch feature freeze
is in effect, think twice: can't the addition wait a couple more days? Merges of bug fixes
into the branch may become more difficult.
> > * Only Jira issues with Fix version "7.5" and priority "Blocker" will delay a release
candidate build.

> > I'll create the first RC later this week depending on the status of the Solr ref
guide. Cassandra, can you update the status when you think that the ref guide is ready (no
rush just a reminder that we need to sync during this release ;) ) ?

> > Cheers,
> > Jim
> >
> > Le mer. 5 sept. 2018 à 17:57, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com <mailto:erickerickson@gmail.com>>
a écrit :
> > Great, thanks!
> > On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 8:44 AM jim ferenczi <jim.ferenczi@gmail.com <mailto:jim.ferenczi@gmail.com>>
wrote:

> > > Sure it can wait a few days. Let's cut the branch next Monday and we can sync
with Cassandra to create the first RC when the ref guide is ready.

<mailto:casstargett@gmail.com>> wrote:

> [...]
with every Ref Guide: https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/how-to-contribute.html#building-publishing-the-guide
<https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/how-to-contribute.html#building-publishing-the-guide>.
It was designed from the artifact process, so it's nearly identical as a process. It's really
barely a burden.

be documented has been documented. That involves an intensive review of CHANGES.txt and a
comparison with commits to find what might be missing, then chasing people down to see if
they intend to make changes or not. Assuming the person responds, then it's waiting for them
to get their stuff done. This is usually about 2-3 days of effort, before the waiting around
for answers and/or commits.

usage. Does it fit where someone put it? Does it explain what the author is hoping it explains?
Also, many of our authors are not native English writers, and deserve the assistance of an
editor to help put their work in the best possible light. In some cases, I feel I should extensively
edit the contribution, which occasionally involves also immersing myself into the change itself.
This is another 2-4 days of effort.

of which I can often resolve reasonably quickly with find/replace:

such as "here is :" or "word , word"
"ZooKeeper" being the biggest one here, but also "params" instead of "parameters" is quite
common)

to read as possible. It may be written by 30 people but it shouldn't read like it is.

the reality is I can't. If we want to release the moment someone proposes a release, then
most of my find/replace list above needs to go into precommit so these problems don't make
it into the Guide to begin with. (Which might be onerous since we'd all get stalled waiting
for someone to fix a typo...but really, precommit is meant in part to find your typos so why
should this be different?)

something we'll ever be able to fully automate. I'm more than happy to have a little help
there, but assume since people aren't doing it today they don't have time, don't feel they
have the skills, or don't want to bother. Or maybe I just kill myself for a level of quality
no one else cares about...not sure I can stop doing it though if I'm the RM.

then whoever RMs is going to have to wait for these editorial processes to be completed or
the vote may fail because the Ref Guide reads like crap.)

to build the first RC beginning of next week to give people a week to discover blockers. I
can certainly slow down things but I don't think that the timing
that are required for the Ref guide release process but what do you think of sharing the tasks
with the RM ? We could even merge the two releases and make the RM responsible of both if
the process is documented.  I'd be happy to experiment this for the 7.5 release if you want.

a version and then give people a week before the branch was cut. Maybe that was just RM choice?
From a personal perspective, I much prefer that model because the Ref Guide requires A LOT
of my attention and my work there kicks into high gear as soon as a release is proposed.

separate today, we want them to be a single process, so I need to act as though your timeframe
for the RC is the deadline for Ref Guide edits to do an RC of the Ref Guide at the same time.
That means I'm on your timetable, no matter what else I may have promised to my bosses and
colleagues. It's stressful already to try to get it all done - I usually don't finish everything
I want to do - and adding the burden of having to backport everything to 2 branches instead
of 1 just makes it tedious as well.

moment it's not even noon on the East Coast, so there's a percentage of the community who
may not even have seen your proposal yet.

and are energized to get it rolling, but is there a reason an RC has to be done by the beginning
of next week?

<mailto:joelsolr@gmail.com>> wrote:

> [...]
in the week to the 7.5 branch but I'll make sure they don't effect the build.

the branch for 7.5 tomorrow. I'll build the first RC early next week so there will be some
room to merge important bug fixes later this week. All blockers except SOLR-12727 seem to
be merged/resolved, I'll watch the remaining solr issue for updates.

<mailto:jan.asf@cominvent.com>> a écrit :

> [...]
in LUCENE-5143. Basically, we'll only have one KEYS file instead of three plus those in the
versioned folders that we have today. And the release py script will start checking that the
RM's key is present in the KEYS file. Would you be ok with that being committed and you being
the first RM to use it for 7.5.0?

29th and we have new features, enhancements and fixes that are not released yet so I'd like
to start working on releasing Lucene/Solr 7.5.0.
that deletes the wrong documents when delete by query is used:
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8466>

and build the first RC early next week if that works for everyone. Please let me know if there
are bug fixes that needs to be fixed in 7.5 and might not be ready by then.