lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Adrien Grand <jpou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene/Solr 7.5
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2018 15:57:48 GMT
We don't enforce anything but out-of-order releases introduce blind spots
for backward compatibility testing of the index format. For instance if we
release 7.4.1 after 7.5.0, there is no test that checked whether 7.5.0
could read indices created with 7.4.1 since the release process only tested
backward compatibility with versions that were already released at the time
of the release of 7.5.0. This is also why we avoid running multiple votes
at the same time since we can't easily verify that one release candidate
can read indices created by the other release candidate. We could add more
testing for these cases, but it's probably easier to avoid out-of-order
releases and do the testing manually when we don't have the choice, such as
fixing bad bugs in the previous major version (given that upgrading to a
new major is often not an easy task).