lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Adrien Grand <jpou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene/Solr 7.5
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2018 09:48:55 GMT
Hey Jim,

I added you to the hudson-jobadmin group so that you can do it next time.

Steve, thanks for taking care of setting up the builds!

Le mar. 11 sept. 2018 à 17:32, jim ferenczi <jim.ferenczi@gmail.com> a
écrit :

> No worries at all Cassandra. What do you think of building the first RC on
> Friday and start the vote on Monday next week ? This will leave some
> room to finish the missing bits.
> Could someone help to setup the Jenkins releases build ? It seems that I
> cannot create jobs with my account.
>
> Le mar. 11 sept. 2018 à 14:08, Cassandra Targett <casstargett@gmail.com>
> a écrit :
>
>> Sorry, Jim, I should have replied yesterday about the state of things
>> with the Ref Guide - it's close. I'm doing the last bit of big review I
>> need to do and am nearly done with that, then I have a couple more small
>> things done (including SOLR-12763 which I just created since I forgot to do
>> it earlier). My goal is to be done by the end of my day today so you could
>> do the RC tomorrow, but who knows what the day will bring work-wise, so
>> I'll send another mail at the end of the day my time to let you know for
>> sure.
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 9:07 AM jim ferenczi <jim.ferenczi@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I just fixed the invalid version (7.5.1) that I added in master and 7x.
>>> The next version on these branches should be 7.6.0, sorry for the noise.
>>>
>>> Le lun. 10 sept. 2018 à 09:26, jim ferenczi <jim.ferenczi@gmail.com> a
>>> écrit :
>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> Feature freeze for 7.5 has started, I just created a branch_7_5.:
>>>>
>>>> * No new features may be committed to the branch.
>>>> * Documentation patches, build patches and serious bug fixes may be
>>>> committed to the branch. However, you should submit all patches you want
to
>>>> commit to Jira first to give others the chance to review and possibly vote
>>>> against the patch. Keep in mind that it is our main intention to keep the
>>>> branch as stable as possible.
>>>> * All patches that are intended for the branch should first be
>>>> committed to the unstable branch, merged into the stable branch, and then
>>>> into the current release branch.
>>>> * Normal unstable and stable branch development may continue as usual.
>>>> However, if you plan to commit a big change to the unstable branch while
>>>> the branch feature freeze is in effect, think twice: can't the addition
>>>> wait a couple more days? Merges of bug fixes into the branch may become
>>>> more difficult.
>>>> * Only Jira issues with Fix version "7.5" and priority "Blocker" will
>>>> delay a release candidate build.
>>>>
>>>> I'll create the first RC later this week depending on the status of the
>>>> Solr ref guide. Cassandra, can you update the status when you think that
>>>> the ref guide is ready (no rush just a reminder that we need to sync during
>>>> this release ;) ) ?
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Jim
>>>>
>>>> Le mer. 5 sept. 2018 à 17:57, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com>
>>>> a écrit :
>>>>
>>>>> Great, thanks!
>>>>> On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 8:44 AM jim ferenczi <jim.ferenczi@gmail.com>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>> >
>>>>> > Sure it can wait a few days. Let's cut the branch next Monday and
we
>>>>> can sync with Cassandra to create the first RC when the ref guide is
ready.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > Le mer. 5 sept. 2018 à 17:27, Erick Erickson <
>>>>> erickerickson@gmail.com> a écrit :
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> Jim:
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> I know it's the 11th hour, but WDYT about cutting the branch
next
>>>>> >> Monday? We see a flurry of activity (announcing a release does
>>>>> >> that....) and waiting to cut the branch might be easiest all
'round.
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> Up to you of course, I can backport the test fixes I'd like
for
>>>>> >> instance and I'd like to get the upgraded ZooKeeper in 7.5.
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >> Erick
>>>>> >> On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 1:04 PM Cassandra Targett <
>>>>> casstargett@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > It's not so much the building of the RC as giving the content
a
>>>>> detailed editorial review.
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > The build/release process itself is well-documented and
published
>>>>> with every Ref Guide:
>>>>> https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/how-to-contribute.html#building-publishing-the-guide.
>>>>> It was designed from the artifact process, so it's nearly identical as
a
>>>>> process. It's really barely a burden.
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > In terms of preparing the content, there are a number of
things I
>>>>> do:
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > First, I try to ensure that every issue in CHANGES.txt
that
>>>>> should be documented has been documented. That involves an intensive
review
>>>>> of CHANGES.txt and a comparison with commits to find what might be missing,
>>>>> then chasing people down to see if they intend to make changes or not.
>>>>> Assuming the person responds, then it's waiting for them to get their
stuff
>>>>> done. This is usually about 2-3 days of effort, before the waiting around
>>>>> for answers and/or commits.
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > Then I review every commit and read it for clarity and
correct
>>>>> English usage. Does it fit where someone put it? Does it explain what
the
>>>>> author is hoping it explains? Also, many of our authors are not native
>>>>> English writers, and deserve the assistance of an editor to help put
their
>>>>> work in the best possible light. In some cases, I feel I should extensively
>>>>> edit the contribution, which occasionally involves also immersing myself
>>>>> into the change itself. This is another 2-4 days of effort.
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > Then there's this list of problems people commit all the
time,
>>>>> many of which I can often resolve reasonably quickly with find/replace:
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > - sentences that don't end in periods
>>>>> >> > - inconsistency with instances of "i.e.," and "e.g.," (not
>>>>> "i.e.", "ie:", "IE", etc.)
>>>>> >> > - no spaces between words and punctuation (commas, colons,
>>>>> periods), such as "here is :" or "word , word"
>>>>> >> > - used sentence case for section titles instead of headline
case
>>>>> >> > - used abbreviations instead of the correct word ("ZK"
instead of
>>>>> "ZooKeeper" being the biggest one here, but also "params" instead of
>>>>> "parameters" is quite common)
>>>>> >> > - misspellings like "Zookeeper" instead of "ZooKeeper,
or "solr"
>>>>> instead of "Solr"
>>>>> >> > - config file names and parameter names/values not in monospace
>>>>> >> > - lists of parameters are not properly formatted (should
not be
>>>>> in tables)
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > These are all to make the Ref Guide as consistent, cohesive,
and
>>>>> easy to read as possible. It may be written by 30 people but it shouldn't
>>>>> read like it is.
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > Should I do all this while the commits are coming through?
Sure,
>>>>> but the reality is I can't. If we want to release the moment someone
>>>>> proposes a release, then most of my find/replace list above needs to
go
>>>>> into precommit so these problems don't make it into the Guide to begin
>>>>> with. (Which might be onerous since we'd all get stalled waiting for
>>>>> someone to fix a typo...but really, precommit is meant in part to find
your
>>>>> typos so why should this be different?)
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > It would always still need editorial review, however, and
that's
>>>>> not something we'll ever be able to fully automate. I'm more than happy
to
>>>>> have a little help there, but assume since people aren't doing it today
>>>>> they don't have time, don't feel they have the skills, or don't want
to
>>>>> bother. Or maybe I just kill myself for a level of quality no one else
>>>>> cares about...not sure I can stop doing it though if I'm the RM.
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > (as a side note on that though, if we do merge the releases
>>>>> someday, then whoever RMs is going to have to wait for these editorial
>>>>> processes to be completed or the vote may fail because the Ref Guide
reads
>>>>> like crap.)
>>>>> >> >
>>>>> >> > On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 11:33 AM jim ferenczi <
>>>>> jim.ferenczi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> >> >>
>>>>> >> >> Thanks for explaining the situation Cassandra. I was
planning to
>>>>> build the first RC beginning of next week to give people a week to discover
>>>>> blockers. I can certainly slow down things but I don't think that the
timing
>>>>> >> >> differs from other releases. I am not aware of the
operations
>>>>> that are required for the Ref guide release process but what do you think
>>>>> of sharing the tasks with the RM ? We could even merge the two releases
and
>>>>> make the RM responsible of both if the process is documented.  I'd be
happy
>>>>> to experiment this for the 7.5 release if you want.
>>>>> >> >>
>>>>> >> >> Le mar. 4 sept. 2018 à 17:55, Cassandra Targett <
>>>>> casstargett@gmail.com> a écrit :
>>>>> >> >>>
>>>>> >> >>> I'm not objecting per se, but I feel like we used
to propose a
>>>>> version and then give people a week before the branch was cut. Maybe
that
>>>>> was just RM choice? From a personal perspective, I much prefer that model
>>>>> because the Ref Guide requires A LOT of my attention and my work there
>>>>> kicks into high gear as soon as a release is proposed.
>>>>> >> >>>
>>>>> >> >>> Even though the artifact and Ref Guide release
processes are
>>>>> separate today, we want them to be a single process, so I need to act
as
>>>>> though your timeframe for the RC is the deadline for Ref Guide edits
to do
>>>>> an RC of the Ref Guide at the same time. That means I'm on your timetable,
>>>>> no matter what else I may have promised to my bosses and colleagues.
It's
>>>>> stressful already to try to get it all done - I usually don't finish
>>>>> everything I want to do - and adding the burden of having to backport
>>>>> everything to 2 branches instead of 1 just makes it tedious as well.
>>>>> >> >>>
>>>>> >> >>> Also, yesterday was a major holiday in the US,
and as of this
>>>>> moment it's not even noon on the East Coast, so there's a percentage
of the
>>>>> community who may not even have seen your proposal yet.
>>>>> >> >>>
>>>>> >> >>> I greatly appreciate that you've volunteered to
do the release
>>>>> and are energized to get it rolling, but is there a reason an RC has
to be
>>>>> done by the beginning of next week?
>>>>> >> >>>
>>>>> >> >>> On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 10:36 AM Joel Bernstein
<
>>>>> joelsolr@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> >> >>>>
>>>>> >> >>>> +1,
>>>>> >> >>>>
>>>>> >> >>>> I'll likely be adding some Solr RefGuide changes
later in the
>>>>> week to the 7.5 branch but I'll make sure they don't effect the build.
>>>>> >> >>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>
>>>>> >> >>>> Joel Bernstein
>>>>> >> >>>> http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/
>>>>> >> >>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>
>>>>> >> >>>> On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 10:52 AM jim ferenczi
<
>>>>> jim.ferenczi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> >> >>>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>> Thanks all,
>>>>> >> >>>>> since there are no objections I am planning
to cut the branch
>>>>> for 7.5 tomorrow. I'll build the first RC early next week so there will
be
>>>>> some room to merge important bug fixes later this week. All blockers
except
>>>>> SOLR-12727 seem to be merged/resolved, I'll watch the remaining solr
issue
>>>>> for updates.
>>>>> >> >>>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>> Le mar. 4 sept. 2018 à 10:21, jim ferenczi
<
>>>>> jim.ferenczi@gmail.com> a écrit :
>>>>> >> >>>>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>>> Sure Jan, this is a nice cleanup, +1
to backport in 7x.
>>>>> >> >>>>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>>> Le mar. 4 sept. 2018 à 10:16, Jan
Høydahl <
>>>>> jan.asf@cominvent.com> a écrit :
>>>>> >> >>>>>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>>>> Jim, we have some release process
improvements in
>>>>> LUCENE-5143. Basically, we'll only have one KEYS file instead of three
plus
>>>>> those in the versioned folders that we have today. And the release py
>>>>> script will start checking that the RM's key is present in the KEYS file.
>>>>> Would you be ok with that being committed and you being the first RM
to use
>>>>> it for 7.5.0?
>>>>> >> >>>>>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>>>> --
>>>>> >> >>>>>>> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
>>>>> >> >>>>>>> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>>>>> >> >>>>>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>>>> 3. sep. 2018 kl. 10:42 skrev jim
ferenczi <
>>>>> jim.ferenczi@gmail.com>:
>>>>> >> >>>>>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>>>> Hi all,
>>>>> >> >>>>>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>>>> 7.4 has been released two months
ago on June 29th and we
>>>>> have new features, enhancements and fixes that are not released yet so
I'd
>>>>> like to start working on releasing Lucene/Solr 7.5.0.
>>>>> >> >>>>>>> There's also a bad bug with index
sorting that deletes the
>>>>> wrong documents when delete by query is used:
>>>>> >> >>>>>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8466
>>>>> >> >>>>>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>>>> I can create the 7.5 branch later
this week and build the
>>>>> first RC early next week if that works for everyone. Please let me know
if
>>>>> there are bug fixes that needs to be fixed in 7.5 and might not be ready
by
>>>>> then.
>>>>> >> >>>>>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>> >> >>>>>>> Jim
>>>>> >> >>>>>>>
>>>>> >> >>>>>>>
>>>>> >>
>>>>> >>
>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>> >> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
>>>>> >> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org
>>>>> >>
>>>>>
>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org
>>>>>
>>>>>

Mime
View raw message