lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Steve Rowe <>
Subject Re: Lucene/Solr 7.5
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2018 19:00:58 GMT
Hi Jim,

I put the Solr ref guide edits Cassandra referred to in a patch on SOLR-12771, but as I mentioned
in a comment there, I’d like to get Hoss’ss input before I commit, and he’s taking today
off, so it’ll probably be Monday before he’ll have a chance to look at it.

So in short, please don’t delay building the RC for SOLR-12771.


> On Sep 14, 2018, at 8:40 AM, Cassandra Targett <> wrote:
> Hi Jim, 
> Are you working on the RC now? Overnight I discovered two really minor things: first,
there's an error in CHANGES.txt regarding the Tika version that I mentioned in SOLR-12551
- Erick told me offline to go ahead and fix it. Second, Steve has some edits he'd like to
get in for the Solr Ref Guide he also sent me offline.
> Neither have very much impact, but both could probably wait until/if there is a respin
of the RC - basically if you haven't started the RC yet I'll push those through. But if you
have started I'll wait.
> Thanks,
> Cassandra
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 3:30 AM jim ferenczi <> wrote:
> Sure you can backport Tomás, the first RC is planned for tomorrow.
> Le jeu. 13 sept. 2018 à 00:10, Tomás Fernández Löbbe <>
a écrit :
> Hi Jim,
> I'd like to commit SOLR-12766 to 7.5. SOLR-11881 added retries for internal requests,
but the backoff time in cases with multiple updates can become big, and cause clients to timeout.
The change is minimal, just backoff once for a retry batch instead of for every doc.
> I'm testing a patch and plan to commit later today, if there aren't any issues or objections.

> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 5:39 AM jim ferenczi <> wrote:
> Thanks !
> Le mer. 12 sept. 2018 à 11:49, Adrien Grand <> a écrit :
> Hey Jim,
> I added you to the hudson-jobadmin group so that you can do it next time.
> Steve, thanks for taking care of setting up the builds!
> Le mar. 11 sept. 2018 à 17:32, jim ferenczi <> a écrit
> No worries at all Cassandra. What do you think of building the first RC on Friday and
start the vote on Monday next week ? This will leave some
> room to finish the missing bits. 
> Could someone help to setup the Jenkins releases build ? It seems that I cannot create
jobs with my account.
> Le mar. 11 sept. 2018 à 14:08, Cassandra Targett <> a écrit
> Sorry, Jim, I should have replied yesterday about the state of things with the Ref Guide
- it's close. I'm doing the last bit of big review I need to do and am nearly done with that,
then I have a couple more small things done (including SOLR-12763 which I just created since
I forgot to do it earlier). My goal is to be done by the end of my day today so you could
do the RC tomorrow, but who knows what the day will bring work-wise, so I'll send another
mail at the end of the day my time to let you know for sure.
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 9:07 AM jim ferenczi <> wrote:
> I just fixed the invalid version (7.5.1) that I added in master and 7x. The next version
on these branches should be 7.6.0, sorry for the noise.
> Le lun. 10 sept. 2018 à 09:26, jim ferenczi <> a écrit
> Hi,
> Feature freeze for 7.5 has started, I just created a branch_7_5.:
> * No new features may be committed to the branch.
> * Documentation patches, build patches and serious bug fixes may be committed to the
branch. However, you should submit all patches you want to commit to Jira first to give others
the chance to review and possibly vote against the patch. Keep in mind that it is our main
intention to keep the branch as stable as possible.
> * All patches that are intended for the branch should first be committed to the unstable
branch, merged into the stable branch, and then into the current release branch.
> * Normal unstable and stable branch development may continue as usual. However, if you
plan to commit a big change to the unstable branch while the branch feature freeze is in effect,
think twice: can't the addition wait a couple more days? Merges of bug fixes into the branch
may become more difficult.
> * Only Jira issues with Fix version "7.5" and priority "Blocker" will delay a release
candidate build.
> I'll create the first RC later this week depending on the status of the Solr ref guide.
Cassandra, can you update the status when you think that the ref guide is ready (no rush just
a reminder that we need to sync during this release ;) ) ?
> Cheers,
> Jim
> Le mer. 5 sept. 2018 à 17:57, Erick Erickson <> a écrit
> Great, thanks!
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 8:44 AM jim ferenczi <> wrote:
> >
> > Sure it can wait a few days. Let's cut the branch next Monday and we can sync with
Cassandra to create the first RC when the ref guide is ready.
> >
> > Le mer. 5 sept. 2018 à 17:27, Erick Erickson <> a
écrit :
> >>
> >> Jim:
> >>
> >> I know it's the 11th hour, but WDYT about cutting the branch next
> >> Monday? We see a flurry of activity (announcing a release does
> >> that....) and waiting to cut the branch might be easiest all 'round.
> >>
> >> Up to you of course, I can backport the test fixes I'd like for
> >> instance and I'd like to get the upgraded ZooKeeper in 7.5.
> >>
> >> Erick
> >> On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 1:04 PM Cassandra Targett <>
> >> >
> >> > It's not so much the building of the RC as giving the content a detailed
editorial review.
> >> >
> >> > The build/release process itself is well-documented and published with
every Ref Guide:
It was designed from the artifact process, so it's nearly identical as a process. It's really
barely a burden.
> >> >
> >> > In terms of preparing the content, there are a number of things I do:
> >> >
> >> > First, I try to ensure that every issue in CHANGES.txt that should be documented
has been documented. That involves an intensive review of CHANGES.txt and a comparison with
commits to find what might be missing, then chasing people down to see if they intend to make
changes or not. Assuming the person responds, then it's waiting for them to get their stuff
done. This is usually about 2-3 days of effort, before the waiting around for answers and/or
> >> >
> >> > Then I review every commit and read it for clarity and correct English
usage. Does it fit where someone put it? Does it explain what the author is hoping it explains?
Also, many of our authors are not native English writers, and deserve the assistance of an
editor to help put their work in the best possible light. In some cases, I feel I should extensively
edit the contribution, which occasionally involves also immersing myself into the change itself.
This is another 2-4 days of effort.
> >> >
> >> > Then there's this list of problems people commit all the time, many of
which I can often resolve reasonably quickly with find/replace:
> >> >
> >> > - sentences that don't end in periods
> >> > - inconsistency with instances of "i.e.," and "e.g.," (not "i.e.", "ie:",
"IE", etc.)
> >> > - no spaces between words and punctuation (commas, colons, periods), such
as "here is :" or "word , word"
> >> > - used sentence case for section titles instead of headline case
> >> > - used abbreviations instead of the correct word ("ZK" instead of "ZooKeeper"
being the biggest one here, but also "params" instead of "parameters" is quite common)
> >> > - misspellings like "Zookeeper" instead of "ZooKeeper, or "solr" instead
of "Solr"
> >> > - config file names and parameter names/values not in monospace
> >> > - lists of parameters are not properly formatted (should not be in tables)
> >> >
> >> > These are all to make the Ref Guide as consistent, cohesive, and easy to
read as possible. It may be written by 30 people but it shouldn't read like it is.
> >> >
> >> > Should I do all this while the commits are coming through? Sure, but the
reality is I can't. If we want to release the moment someone proposes a release, then most
of my find/replace list above needs to go into precommit so these problems don't make it into
the Guide to begin with. (Which might be onerous since we'd all get stalled waiting for someone
to fix a typo...but really, precommit is meant in part to find your typos so why should this
be different?)
> >> >
> >> > It would always still need editorial review, however, and that's not something
we'll ever be able to fully automate. I'm more than happy to have a little help there, but
assume since people aren't doing it today they don't have time, don't feel they have the skills,
or don't want to bother. Or maybe I just kill myself for a level of quality no one else cares
about...not sure I can stop doing it though if I'm the RM.
> >> >
> >> > (as a side note on that though, if we do merge the releases someday, then
whoever RMs is going to have to wait for these editorial processes to be completed or the
vote may fail because the Ref Guide reads like crap.)
> >> >
> >> > On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 11:33 AM jim ferenczi <>
> >> >>
> >> >> Thanks for explaining the situation Cassandra. I was planning to build
the first RC beginning of next week to give people a week to discover blockers. I can certainly
slow down things but I don't think that the timing
> >> >> differs from other releases. I am not aware of the operations that
are required for the Ref guide release process but what do you think of sharing the tasks
with the RM ? We could even merge the two releases and make the RM responsible of both if
the process is documented.  I'd be happy to experiment this for the 7.5 release if you want.
> >> >>
> >> >> Le mar. 4 sept. 2018 à 17:55, Cassandra Targett <>
a écrit :
> >> >>>
> >> >>> I'm not objecting per se, but I feel like we used to propose a
version and then give people a week before the branch was cut. Maybe that was just RM choice?
From a personal perspective, I much prefer that model because the Ref Guide requires A LOT
of my attention and my work there kicks into high gear as soon as a release is proposed.
> >> >>>
> >> >>> Even though the artifact and Ref Guide release processes are separate
today, we want them to be a single process, so I need to act as though your timeframe for
the RC is the deadline for Ref Guide edits to do an RC of the Ref Guide at the same time.
That means I'm on your timetable, no matter what else I may have promised to my bosses and
colleagues. It's stressful already to try to get it all done - I usually don't finish everything
I want to do - and adding the burden of having to backport everything to 2 branches instead
of 1 just makes it tedious as well.
> >> >>>
> >> >>> Also, yesterday was a major holiday in the US, and as of this moment
it's not even noon on the East Coast, so there's a percentage of the community who may not
even have seen your proposal yet.
> >> >>>
> >> >>> I greatly appreciate that you've volunteered to do the release
and are energized to get it rolling, but is there a reason an RC has to be done by the beginning
of next week?
> >> >>>
> >> >>> On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 10:36 AM Joel Bernstein <>
> >> >>>>
> >> >>>> +1,
> >> >>>>
> >> >>>> I'll likely be adding some Solr RefGuide changes later in the
week to the 7.5 branch but I'll make sure they don't effect the build.
> >> >>>>
> >> >>>>
> >> >>>> Joel Bernstein
> >> >>>>
> >> >>>>
> >> >>>>
> >> >>>> On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 10:52 AM jim ferenczi <>
> >> >>>>>
> >> >>>>> Thanks all,
> >> >>>>> since there are no objections I am planning to cut the
branch for 7.5 tomorrow. I'll build the first RC early next week so there will be some room
to merge important bug fixes later this week. All blockers except SOLR-12727 seem to be merged/resolved,
I'll watch the remaining solr issue for updates.
> >> >>>>>
> >> >>>>> Le mar. 4 sept. 2018 à 10:21, jim ferenczi <>
a écrit :
> >> >>>>>>
> >> >>>>>> Sure Jan, this is a nice cleanup, +1 to backport in
> >> >>>>>>
> >> >>>>>> Le mar. 4 sept. 2018 à 10:16, Jan Høydahl <>
a écrit :
> >> >>>>>>>
> >> >>>>>>> Jim, we have some release process improvements
in LUCENE-5143. Basically, we'll only have one KEYS file instead of three plus those in the
versioned folders that we have today. And the release py script will start checking that the
RM's key is present in the KEYS file. Would you be ok with that being committed and you being
the first RM to use it for 7.5.0?
> >> >>>>>>>
> >> >>>>>>> --
> >> >>>>>>> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
> >> >>>>>>> Cominvent AS -
> >> >>>>>>>
> >> >>>>>>> 3. sep. 2018 kl. 10:42 skrev jim ferenczi <>:
> >> >>>>>>>
> >> >>>>>>> Hi all,
> >> >>>>>>>
> >> >>>>>>> 7.4 has been released two months ago on June 29th
and we have new features, enhancements and fixes that are not released yet so I'd like to
start working on releasing Lucene/Solr 7.5.0.
> >> >>>>>>> There's also a bad bug with index sorting that
deletes the wrong documents when delete by query is used:
> >> >>>>>>>
> >> >>>>>>>
> >> >>>>>>> I can create the 7.5 branch later this week and
build the first RC early next week if that works for everyone. Please let me know if there
are bug fixes that needs to be fixed in 7.5 and might not be ready by then.
> >> >>>>>>>
> >> >>>>>>> Cheers,
> >> >>>>>>> Jim
> >> >>>>>>>
> >> >>>>>>>
> >>
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> >> For additional commands, e-mail:
> >>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message