lucene-dev mailing list archives

From David Smiley <david.w.smi...@gmail.com>
Subject Feature: Solr implicitly defined field types?
Date Fri, 28 Dec 2018 16:36:06 GMT
While working on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-12768 it
occurred to me that it would be nice if Solr had implicitly defined field
types.  This would allow you to define a field in your schema that refers
to a type that is *not* also in your schema -- at least not explicitly
(need not explicitly be put in your schema.xml if classic, or need not be
passed to schema manipulation API if you use that).  The idea would be that
these types would be Solr platform provided field types that need not be
defined by you.

There are multiple ways this loose idea might be conceived / imagined into
a concrete proposal.

(A) The main idea I'm kicking around right now is that Solr would _not_
throw an error at the moment of reading your field definition that it
doesn't see your type... instead it would see it's a platform type (via
some built-in hard-coded registry) and then register that type on the fly.
So if you were to read the schema then you'd see it.  In this way, it's
kind of a shortcut.  Platform field types that you don't actually refer to
will never end up being put into your schema.

(B) A schema could pre-initialize with the platform/implicit types.  This
is the simplest idea but I don't like it because you may not even need some
of these types.  I'm not going to go down this path now but wanted to
mention it.

I'm exploring (A) right now... I'm hoping to do this for at least a
"_nest_path_"  field in support of nested documents in 8.0, but conceivably
the idea would be expanded to lots of things in our base schema right now
(int, str, etc.)
--
Lucene/Solr Search Committer (PMC), Developer, Author, Speaker