lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Admin UI - Collections Management
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2019 00:05:27 GMT
Also, when number of hosts/nodes grow large the drag/drop method won't scale since the target
may be on page 5 of the Nodes table…
But that use case is perhaps covered in the Collections menu change you are planning?

Agree that it is best to create one JIRA for each feature, especially the node test-stuff
should go in a separate issue, looks cool btw!

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 22. jan. 2019 kl. 00:56 skrev Tomás Fernández Löbbe <tomasflobbe@gmail.com>:
>
> Thanks Jeremy,
> Yes, you should create a Jira. Then you can create the PR (and include the Jira code
in the title of the PR, this will link them). Also, I’d suggest you create different JIRAs
for each individual change. Small changes are easier and more likely to be reviewed/ merged.

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 1:07 PM Branham, Jeremy (Experis) <jbrcm@allstate.com <mailto:jbrcm@allstate.com>>
wrote:
> I’ve got the drag-n-drop part done on the cloud->nodes screen.
>
> Still need to add the ‘move replica’ option on the ‘collections’ screen.
>

> Also, I created a small web-test sub-project to speed up the ui development. I’m not
sure if others were using something similar.

> Would I create a PR to have this considered, and/or create an item in Jira?
>

> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/compare/branch_7x...jdbranham:branch_7x <https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/compare/branch_7x...jdbranham:branch_7x>
>

> Jeremy Branham
>
> jbrcm@allstate.com <mailto:jbrcm@allstate.com>
>

> From: "Branham, Jeremy (Experis)" <jbrcm@allstate.com <mailto:jbrcm@allstate.com>>
> Date: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 10:23 AM
> To: "dev@lucene.apache.org <mailto:dev@lucene.apache.org>" <dev@lucene.apache.org
<mailto:dev@lucene.apache.org>>
> Subject: [External] Re: Re: Admin UI - Collections Management
>

> Thanks Jan –
>
> I agree it makes sense to have the operation in the collection -> … -> replica
area, since it’s a related function.

> On the other hand, when I’m looking to move replicas around, I’m interested in seeing
the replicas grouped by server rather than shard.

> Seems like the overlap may be hard to avoid without some redesign.
>

> I’d love to contribute to a redesign, or bringing the collection/shard functionality
into the nodes section. But I’d need to moonlight it, since it might be difficult to justify
on my employer’s time.

> Jeremy Branham
>
> jbrcm@allstate.com <mailto:jbrcm@allstate.com>
>

> From: Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com <mailto:jan.asf@cominvent.com>>
> Date: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 7:19 AM
> To: Lucene Dev <dev@lucene.apache.org <mailto:dev@lucene.apache.org>>
> Subject: [External] Re: Admin UI - Collections Management
>

> I think perhaps this belongs in the Collections -> coll_name -> Shards -> Replicas
screen, where you can already delete and add a replica to a shard. That screen has a dropdown
to select what node the new replica should be created on. So if you add a MOVE button next
to the DELETE button, and show a dropdown with list of nodes, then you should have enough
info to construct a MOVEREPLICA cmd.

> I know that there is a huge overlap between the Collections and Cloud menus, so at some
point a redesign is needed. Of course we could also add a context-sensitive popup menu with
a MOVE button to the Cloud->Nodes screen where we list replicas...

> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cominvent.com&d=DwMFaQ&c=gtIjdLs6LnStUpy9cTOW9w&r=0SwsmPELGv6GC1_5JSQ9T7ZPMLljrIkbF_2jBCrKXI0&m=sMkAvvM1VkcXhSaK6rY0qu5b-IS16veGj9vLtZnf9rg&s=VZuJYhwBmdEVp5N7aCOGEkkYzYLG__Zhm6wPIiSaUac&e=>
>

> 15. jan. 2019 kl. 19:33 skrev Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com <mailto:erickerickson@gmail.com>>:
>

> bq: Thoughts?
>
> I don't do UI work so I just sit back and cheer ;)
>
> Then I do, of course have thoughts...
>
> Mostly, when you're thinking about this think about scale. For
> instance, the graph view is nice for a few nodes/collections. 1,000
> collections (yes, some people scale that way) with even 2x2
> collections is almost, but not quite totally, unusable. Maybe
> copy/paste or cut/paste? Or some way to restrict what's shown to the
> relevant nodes? More generally how to navigate around when there are
> zillions of replicas....
>
> Best,
> Erick
>

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 8:39 AM Branham, Jeremy (Experis)
> <jbrcm@allstate.com <mailto:jbrcm@allstate.com>> wrote:
>

> Thanks Erick –
> I used the MOVEREPLICA command to shuffle them around, but like you mentioned, I had
to look up nodes names and such.
> I’m on the same page; drag-n-drop replica organization.
>
> I was looking at the newest section in the admin-ui  “Cloud > Nodes”
> Maybe we could add the drag-n-drop functionality to that last column, where the replicas
are listed by node. I think we have all the data required in that view to construct a MOVEREPLICA
command.

> Thoughts?
>

> Jeremy Branham
> jbrcm@allstate.com <mailto:jbrcm@allstate.com>
>
> On 1/14/19, 4:55 PM, "Erick Erickson" <erickerickson@gmail.com <mailto:erickerickson@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>    bq. The collections API allowed me to move the replicas around by
>    investigating the core names and locations,
>
>    What about the MOVEREPLICA command?
>    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lucene.apache.org_solr_guide_6-5F6_collections-2Dapi.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=gtIjdLs6LnStUpy9cTOW9w&r=0SwsmPELGv6GC1_5JSQ9T7ZPMLljrIkbF_2jBCrKXI0&m=H4NKUT5exNIKdsoam9tBFwkVy-6YdmME9JkEo0ISjnk&s=037mwmgIodjUnHNITRxTA5FJu2QXK_AYmNgd-oCyfxU&e=
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lucene.apache.org_solr_guide_6-5F6_collections-2Dapi.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=gtIjdLs6LnStUpy9cTOW9w&r=0SwsmPELGv6GC1_5JSQ9T7ZPMLljrIkbF_2jBCrKXI0&m=H4NKUT5exNIKdsoam9tBFwkVy-6YdmME9JkEo0ISjnk&s=037mwmgIodjUnHNITRxTA5FJu2QXK_AYmNgd-oCyfxU&e=>

>    Although that still requires you to know things like node names and
>    replica names. It'd be waaaaay cool to have
>    some kind of drag-n-drop or wizard-driven capability, perhaps built on
>    top of that. In addition to Jan's
>    suggestions.
>
>    Best,
>    Erick
>
>    On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 2:37 PM Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com <mailto:jan.asf@cominvent.com>>
wrote:

> Hi and thanks for offering to help.
>
> If you are not familiar with the new Autoscaling framework, I'd start by exploring it,
since it aims at solving replica placement without explicit commands.
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lucene.apache.org_solr_guide_7-5F6_solrcloud-2Dautoscaling.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=gtIjdLs6LnStUpy9cTOW9w&r=0SwsmPELGv6GC1_5JSQ9T7ZPMLljrIkbF_2jBCrKXI0&m=H4NKUT5exNIKdsoam9tBFwkVy-6YdmME9JkEo0ISjnk&s=SRn57bErK14_HIBo5zPxDGt8KgkslZhmB2zNNCd2jXc&e=
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lucene.apache.org_solr_guide_7-5F6_solrcloud-2Dautoscaling.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=gtIjdLs6LnStUpy9cTOW9w&r=0SwsmPELGv6GC1_5JSQ9T7ZPMLljrIkbF_2jBCrKXI0&m=H4NKUT5exNIKdsoam9tBFwkVy-6YdmME9JkEo0ISjnk&s=SRn57bErK14_HIBo5zPxDGt8KgkslZhmB2zNNCd2jXc&e=>

> Next, I'd try to find an open JIRA issue to solve, perhaps something related to Collections
API and/or Admin UI. Pick something very simple, just to get started with the procedure of
contributing, and then look at e.g. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_SOLR-2D10209&d=DwIFaQ&c=gtIjdLs6LnStUpy9cTOW9w&r=0SwsmPELGv6GC1_5JSQ9T7ZPMLljrIkbF_2jBCrKXI0&m=H4NKUT5exNIKdsoam9tBFwkVy-6YdmME9JkEo0ISjnk&s=XB6iMPC0x1pEBUc-i-g8TwI9Y9QuQHcT87S-0Qx3NV8&e=
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_SOLR-2D10209&d=DwIFaQ&c=gtIjdLs6LnStUpy9cTOW9w&r=0SwsmPELGv6GC1_5JSQ9T7ZPMLljrIkbF_2jBCrKXI0&m=H4NKUT5exNIKdsoam9tBFwkVy-6YdmME9JkEo0ISjnk&s=XB6iMPC0x1pEBUc-i-g8TwI9Y9QuQHcT87S-0Qx3NV8&e=>
which seems related in that it aims to expose collection api through UI

> Cominvent AS - https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cominvent.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=gtIjdLs6LnStUpy9cTOW9w&r=0SwsmPELGv6GC1_5JSQ9T7ZPMLljrIkbF_2jBCrKXI0&m=H4NKUT5exNIKdsoam9tBFwkVy-6YdmME9JkEo0ISjnk&s=YUNZMwT6xSa-P3X04jHMB58-A-jn5E9PII77JqfQceo&e=
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cominvent.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=gtIjdLs6LnStUpy9cTOW9w&r=0SwsmPELGv6GC1_5JSQ9T7ZPMLljrIkbF_2jBCrKXI0&m=H4NKUT5exNIKdsoam9tBFwkVy-6YdmME9JkEo0ISjnk&s=YUNZMwT6xSa-P3X04jHMB58-A-jn5E9PII77JqfQceo&e=>

> 14. jan. 2019 kl. 21:39 skrev Branham, Jeremy (Experis) <jbrcm@allstate.com <mailto:jbrcm@allstate.com>>:
>
> I recently split some shards, and the new replicas didn’t go to the nodes I wanted
them.
> The collections API allowed me to move the replicas around by investigating the core
names and locations, then constructing the correct urls to execute the moves.