lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Rowe <sar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [NOTICE] Mandatory migration of git repositories to gitbox.apache.org
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2019 22:25:42 GMT
Thanks for bringing this up Cassandra.

I looked at all the ASF Jenkins jobs' configs yesterday, and they all point to the read-only
mirror at git://git.apache.org/lucene-solr.git .  Yesterday I thought that this would continue
to mirror the new gitbox repo, but I guess not?  http://git.apache.org no longer lists lucene-solr.git
, but the mirror still appears to exist.

Infra's Daniel Gruno commented yesterday on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-17593
: "git.a.o should never be used or trusted as canonical, please. the mirror is _not_ listed
on git.apache.org and is not updated there. Use gitbox or github, either will suffice - gitbox
is a bit beefier than git-wip was, so it'll play along."

On https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-17526 Daniel wrote that he removed Hadoop's
hidden -- i.e. no longer advertized at http://git.apache.org/ -- read-only git.a.o mirror
at the project's request.  Should we ask for the same thing?

I'll go fix all the Lucene/Solr jobs' configs on ASF and my Jenkins to point to the gitbox.a.o
repo.

Steve

> On Jan 10, 2019, at 4:28 PM, Cassandra Targett <casstargett@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This was done yesterday, but it appears that our Jenkins jobs need to be updated? I looked
at a couple of Ref Guide builds and doc changes I made yesterday and today aren’t showing
up, but it’s hard for me to tell when looking at the other jobs for artifacts to know if
that’s true for all the jobs or not.

> Could someone who knows these jobs check?
>
> I think we have some wiki docs that need to be updated with the new repo address. I’ll
get to it eventually unless someone has time sooner.

> Thanks,
> Cassandra
> On Jan 3, 2019, 10:23 AM -0600, David Smiley <david.w.smiley@gmail.com>, wrote:
>> Good questions Erick; please post as a comment to the issue.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 11:21 AM Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +1 and thanks!
>>
>> Any time works for me. I assume we'll get some idea of when it'll
>> happen, I'm also assuming that the git-wip-us.apache.org will just
>> completely stop working so there's no chance of pushing something to
>> the wrong place?
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 8:15 AM David Smiley <david.w.smiley@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I agree with Uwe's sentiment.  Essentially anywhere in your git remote configuration
that refers to git-wip-us.apache.org will need to change to gitbox.apache.org  open up .git/config
to see what I mean.  At your prerogative, you may instead work with GitHub's mirror exclusively
-- a new option.  If you want to do that, see https://gitbox.apache.org which is pretty helpful
(do read it no matter what you do), and includes a link to the "account linking page".  Personally,
I intend to commit to gitbox but I will also link my accounts as I suspect this will enable
more direct use of the GitHub website like closing old pull requests (unconfirmed).

next week (Jan 9th).  It appears to be a minor inconvenience.  If there are problems, we'll
have some work days after to deal with it.  And doing this ahead of the mass migration may
give us more individual attention from the busy infra team if there are problems.  Can I get
some +1's?