lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene/Solr 8.0
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2019 09:14:50 GMT
Thanks for doing this Alan. I'll handle RAMDirectory* removals from
the new master (LUCENE-8474)

D.

<jim.ferenczi@gmail.com <mailto:jim.ferenczi@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > : > >> >>>>>>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>> Ok thanks for answering.
> > : > >> >>>>>>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>> > - I think Solr needs a couple
more weeks since the work Dat is doing isn't quite done yet.
> > : > >> >>>>>>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>> We can wait a few more weeks to create
the branch but I don't think that one action (creating the branch) prevents the other (the
work Dat is doing).
> > : > >> >>>>>>> HTTP/2 is one of the blocker for the
release but it can be done in master and backported to the appropriate branch as any other
feature ? We just need an issue with the blocker label to ensure that
> > : > >> >>>>>>> we don't miss it ;). Creating the branch
early would also help in case you don't want to release all the work at once in 8.0.0.
> > : > >> >>>>>>> Next week was just a proposal, what
I meant was soon because we target a release in a few months.
Targett <casstargett@gmail.com <mailto:casstargett@gmail.com>> a écrit :
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>> IMO next week is a bit too soon
for the branch - I think Solr needs a couple more weeks since the work Dat is doing isn't
quite done yet.
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>> Solr needs the HTTP/2 work Dat
has been doing, and he told me yesterday he feels it is nearly ready to be merged into master.
However, it does require a new release of Jetty to Solr is able to retain Kerberos authentication
support (Dat has been working with that team to help test the changes Jetty needs to support
Kerberos with HTTP/2). They should get that release out soon, but we are dependent on them
a little bit.
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>> He can hopefully reply with more
details on his status and what else needs to be done.
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>> Once Dat merges his work, IMO we
should leave it in master for a little bit. While he has been beasting and testing with Jenkins
as he goes along, I think it would be good to have all the regular master builds work on it
for a little bit also.
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>> Of the other blockers, the only
other large-ish one is to fully remove Trie* fields, which some of us also discussed yesterday
and it seemed we concluded that Solr isn't really ready to do that. The performance issues
with single value lookups are a major obstacle. It would be nice if someone with a bit more
experience with that could comment in the issue (SOLR-12632) and/or unmark it as a blocker.
Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com <mailto:erickerickson@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> I find 9 open blockers for
8.0:
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SOLR%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocker%20AND%20status%20%3D%20OPEN
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SOLR%20AND%20priority%20%3D%20Blocker%20AND%20status%20%3D%20OPEN>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> As David mentioned, many of
the SOlr committers are at Activate, which
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> ends Thursday so feedback (and
work) may be a bit delayed.
AM David Smiley <david.w.smiley@gmail.com <mailto:david.w.smiley@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> > Hi,
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> > Thanks for volunteering
to do the 8.0 release Jim!
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> > Many of us are at the
Activate Conference in Montreal.  We had a committers meeting where we discussed some of the
blockers.  I think only a couple items were raised.  I'll leave Dat to discuss the one on
HTTP2.  On the Solr nested docs front, I articulated one and we mostly came to a decision
on how to do it.  It's not "hard" just a matter of how to hook in some functionality so that
it's user-friendly.  I'll file an issue for this.  Inexplicably I'm sheepish about marking
issues "blocker" but I shouldn't be.  I'll file that issue and look at another issue or two
that ought to be blockers.  Nothing is "hard" or tons of work that is in my sphere of work.
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> > On the Lucene side, I
will commit https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7875 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7875>
RE MultiFields either late tonight or tomorrow when I have time.  It's ready to be committed;
just sitting there.  It's a minor thing but important to make this change now before 8.0.
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> > I personally plan to spend
more time on the upcoming weeks on a few of these 8.0 things.
4:21 AM jim ferenczi <jim.ferenczi@gmail.com <mailto:jim.ferenczi@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >> Hi,
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >> We still have two
blockers for the Lucene 8 release:
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7075?jql=(project%3D%22Lucene%20-%20Core%22%20%20OR%20project%3DSOLR)%20AND%20priority%3DBlocker%20and%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7075?jql=(project%3D%22Lucene%20-%20Core%22%20%20OR%20project%3DSOLR)%20AND%20priority%3DBlocker%20and%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >> We're planning to
work on these issues in the coming days, are there any other blockers (not in the list) on
Solr side.
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >> Now that Lucene 7.5
is released I'd like to create a Lucene 8 branch soon (next week for instance ? ). There are
some work to do to make sure that all tests pass, add the new version...
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >> I can take care of
it if there are no objections. Creating the branch in advance would help to stabilize this
version (people can continue to work on new features that are not targeted for 8.0) and
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >> we can discuss the
best date for the release when all blockers are resolved. What do you think ?
à 11:32, Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com <mailto:jpountz@gmail.com>> a écrit
:
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>> Đạt, is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-12639
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-12639> the right issue for HTTP/2 support?
Should we make it a blocker for 8.0?
2018 à 23:37, Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com <mailto:jpountz@gmail.com>> a écrit
:
here is the JIRA query for blockers that Erick referred to: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-12720?jql=(project%3D%22Lucene%20-%20Core%22%20%20OR%20project%3DSOLR)%20AND%20priority%3DBlocker%20and%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20
sept. 2018 à 10:36, jim ferenczi <jim.ferenczi@gmail.com <mailto:jim.ferenczi@gmail.com>>
a écrit :
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>> Ok thanks
Đạt and Erick. I'll follow the blockers on Jira.  Đạt do you have an issue opened for
the HTTP/2 support ?
31 août 2018 à 16:40, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com <mailto:erickerickson@gmail.com>>
a écrit :
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> There's
also the issue of what to do as far as removing Trie* support.
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> I
think there's a blocker JIRA.
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> project
= SOLR AND priority = Blocker AND resolution = Unresolved
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> Shows
6 blockers
Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 4:12 AM Đạt Cao Mạnh <caomanhdat317@gmail.com <mailto:caomanhdat317@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >
Hi Jim,
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >
I really want to introduce the support of HTTP/2 into Solr 8.0 (currently cooked in jira/http2
branch). The changes of that branch are less than Star Burst effort and closer to be merged
into master branch.
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >
Thanks!
On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 3:55 PM jim ferenczi <jim.ferenczi@gmail.com <mailto:jim.ferenczi@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>
Hi all,
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>
I'd like to get some feedback regarding the upcoming Lucene/Solr 8 release. There are still
some cleanups and docs to add on the Lucene side but it seems that all blockers are resolved.
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>
From a Solr perspective are there any important changes that need to be done or are we still
good with the October target for the release ? Adrien mentioned the Star Burst effort some
time ago, is it something that is planned for 8 ?
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>
Cheers,
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>
Jim
Le mer. 1 août 2018 à 19:02, David Smiley <david.w.smiley@gmail.com <mailto:david.w.smiley@gmail.com>>
a écrit :
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>
Yes, that new BKD/Points based code is definitely something we want in 8 or 7.5 -- it's a
big deal.  I think it would also be awesome if we had highlighter that could use the Weight.matches()
API -- again for either 7.5 or 8.  I'm working on this on the UnifiedHighlighter front and
Alan from other aspects.
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>
~ David
On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 12:51 PM Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com <mailto:jpountz@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>
I was hoping that we would release some bits of this new support for geo shapes in 7.5 already.
We are already very close to being able to index points, lines and polygons and query for
intersection with an envelope. It would be nice to add support for other relations (eg. disjoint)
and queries (eg. polygon) but the current work looks already useful to me.
Le mer. 1 août 2018 à 17:00, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com <mailto:rcmuir@gmail.com>>
a écrit :
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
My only other suggestion is we may want to get Nick's shape stuff into
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
the sandbox module at least for 8.0 so that it can be tested out. I
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
think it looks like that wouldn't delay any October target though?
On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 9:51 AM, Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com <mailto:jpountz@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
> I'd like to revive this thread now that these new optimizations for
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
> collection of top docs are more usable and enabled by default in
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
> IndexSearcher (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8060 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8060>).
Any
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
> feedback about starting to work towards releasing 8.0 and targeting October
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
> 2018?
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
> Le jeu. 21 juin 2018 à 09:31, Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com <mailto:jpountz@gmail.com>>
a écrit :
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
>> Hi Robert,
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
>>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
>> I agree we need to make it more usable before 8.0. I would also like to
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
>> improve ReqOptSumScorer (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8204 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8204>)
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
>> to leverage impacts so that queries that incorporate queries on feature
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>
>> fields (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8197 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8197>)
in an optional

--
LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley <http://linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley>
| Book: http://www.solrenterprisesearchserver.com <http://www.solrenterprisesearchserver.com/>
additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org <mailto:dev-help@lucene.apache.org>
> > : > >> >>>>>>>>> > Lucene/Solr Search Committer,
Consultant, Developer, Author, Speaker