lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Admin UI - Collections Management
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2019 18:33:02 GMT
bq: Thoughts?

I don't do UI work so I just sit back and cheer ;)

Then I do, of course have thoughts...

Mostly, when you're thinking about this think about scale. For
instance, the graph view is nice for a few nodes/collections. 1,000
collections (yes, some people scale that way) with even 2x2
collections is almost, but not quite totally, unusable. Maybe
copy/paste or cut/paste? Or some way to restrict what's shown to the
relevant nodes? More generally how to navigate around when there are
zillions of replicas....

Best,
Erick

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 8:39 AM Branham, Jeremy (Experis)
<jbrcm@allstate.com> wrote:

> Thanks Erick –
> I used the MOVEREPLICA command to shuffle them around, but like you mentioned, I had
to look up nodes names and such.
> I’m on the same page; drag-n-drop replica organization.
>
> I was looking at the newest section in the admin-ui  “Cloud > Nodes”
> Maybe we could add the drag-n-drop functionality to that last column, where the replicas
are listed by node. I think we have all the data required in that view to construct a MOVEREPLICA
command.

> Thoughts?
>

> Jeremy Branham
> jbrcm@allstate.com
>
> On 1/14/19, 4:55 PM, "Erick Erickson" <erickerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     bq. The collections API allowed me to move the replicas around by
>     investigating the core names and locations,
>
>     What about the MOVEREPLICA command?
>     https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lucene.apache.org_solr_guide_6-5F6_collections-2Dapi.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=gtIjdLs6LnStUpy9cTOW9w&r=0SwsmPELGv6GC1_5JSQ9T7ZPMLljrIkbF_2jBCrKXI0&m=H4NKUT5exNIKdsoam9tBFwkVy-6YdmME9JkEo0ISjnk&s=037mwmgIodjUnHNITRxTA5FJu2QXK_AYmNgd-oCyfxU&e=
>
>     Although that still requires you to know things like node names and
>     replica names. It'd be waaaaay cool to have
>     some kind of drag-n-drop or wizard-driven capability, perhaps built on
>     top of that. In addition to Jan's
>     suggestions.
>
>     Best,
>     Erick
>
>     On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 2:37 PM Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
>     >
>     > Hi and thanks for offering to help.
>     >
>     > If you are not familiar with the new Autoscaling framework, I'd start by exploring
it, since it aims at solving replica placement without explicit commands.
>     > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lucene.apache.org_solr_guide_7-5F6_solrcloud-2Dautoscaling.html&d=DwIFaQ&c=gtIjdLs6LnStUpy9cTOW9w&r=0SwsmPELGv6GC1_5JSQ9T7ZPMLljrIkbF_2jBCrKXI0&m=H4NKUT5exNIKdsoam9tBFwkVy-6YdmME9JkEo0ISjnk&s=SRn57bErK14_HIBo5zPxDGt8KgkslZhmB2zNNCd2jXc&e=
>     >
>     > Next, I'd try to find an open JIRA issue to solve, perhaps something related
to Collections API and/or Admin UI. Pick something very simple, just to get started with the
procedure of contributing, and then look at e.g. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_SOLR-2D10209&d=DwIFaQ&c=gtIjdLs6LnStUpy9cTOW9w&r=0SwsmPELGv6GC1_5JSQ9T7ZPMLljrIkbF_2jBCrKXI0&m=H4NKUT5exNIKdsoam9tBFwkVy-6YdmME9JkEo0ISjnk&s=XB6iMPC0x1pEBUc-i-g8TwI9Y9QuQHcT87S-0Qx3NV8&e=
which seems related in that it aims to expose collection api through UI
>     >
>     > --
>     > Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
>     > Cominvent AS - https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cominvent.com&d=DwIFaQ&c=gtIjdLs6LnStUpy9cTOW9w&r=0SwsmPELGv6GC1_5JSQ9T7ZPMLljrIkbF_2jBCrKXI0&m=H4NKUT5exNIKdsoam9tBFwkVy-6YdmME9JkEo0ISjnk&s=YUNZMwT6xSa-P3X04jHMB58-A-jn5E9PII77JqfQceo&e=
>     >
>     > 14. jan. 2019 kl. 21:39 skrev Branham, Jeremy (Experis) <jbrcm@allstate.com>:
>     >
>     > I recently split some shards, and the new replicas didn’t go to the nodes
I wanted them.
>     > The collections API allowed me to move the replicas around by investigating
the core names and locations, then constructing the correct urls to execute the moves.
>     > This worked, but it would have been faster if the admin UI supported such operations.
>     >
>     > Is this something I could contribute to? Maybe a PR in GitHub?
>     > I’ve been a solr user for quite a while and would like to start giving back
some.
>     >
>     > Thanks!
>     >
>     > Jeremy Branham
>     > jbrcm@allstate.com
>     > Allstate Insurance Company | UCV Technology Services | Information Services
Group