lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: ReleaseWizard tool
Date Wed, 29 May 2019 22:00:13 GMT
My releaseWizard tool is getting more complete as the 7.7.2 release progresses. Will share
the code just after I complete all steps.

I tested relasedocmaker and it digs up all the JIRA issues marked as RESOLVED for the version
and creates two files.
CHANGELOG.md simply lists all issues under headings IMPROVEMENTS, BUG FIXES etc
One problem I found with how the CHANGELOG works is that it adds all issues having the version
in fixVersion, even if the feature
was already released in an earlier version. That is because of the way we use JIRA fixVersion,
adding both e.g. "master (9.0)" and "8.2"
at the same time, even if we know that 8.2 is the version the feature will be released. If
we stop always adding "master" to fixVersion
but strive to keep it a list of version the feature/bugfix is FIRST introduced, then this
tool will do the correct job.

RELEASENOTES.md lists "...new developer and user-facing incompatibilities, important issues,
features, and major improvements.".
And if we enable the JIRA field "Release Notes" (we don't have it now), the content of that
field will be used in the release notes instead of the JIRA description.
You can select any issue to surface in RELEASENOTES by adding a certain label, by default
"backward-incompatible".

I think it could be a welcome addition to our flow. We cant' expect the output from the tool
to be used as-is, sometimes a major feature spans multiple
JIRAs etc, but it could be a good starting point, and would shift the burden of documenting
important and breaking changes from release-time to commit-time,
if we as committers manage to adjust our routines. We could even have a weekly job that runs
the releasedocmaker and sends the output to dev@ list for active branches, to keep focus.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 17. mai 2019 kl. 13:45 skrev Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com>:
>
> Yes, I thought we could use https://yetus.apache.org/documentation/0.10.0/releasedocmaker/
<https://yetus.apache.org/documentation/0.10.0/releasedocmaker/> to generate the draft,
and this could be wired into the releaseWizard tool.

> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com <http://www.cominvent.com/>
>
>> 17. mai 2019 kl. 06:40 skrev Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com <mailto:ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com>>:
>>
>> Much needed. Thanks for working on it.
>>
>> Here's an idea I was thinking about yesterday: the most tedious step is to generate
release highlights. We should have a JIRA field "release highlight" which, when populated,
will have the text that will be featured in the announce mail and on the website in news.
That way, generating those mails can be semi/fully automated.

>> Alternatively, this field can just be a Boolean check box and title of the Jira can
be used as highlight. This will force the committer to keep meaningful titles.