lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: ReleaseWizard tool
Date Fri, 05 Jul 2019 20:11:15 GMT
Go for it. For me it was a very interesting experience, and I will likely do it again at some
point!

Jan Høydahl

> 5. jul. 2019 kl. 21:00 skrev David Smiley <david.w.smiley@gmail.com>:
>
> Nice Jan!  Maybe I'll be an RM one day, now that there's a nice tool to help :-)
>
> ~ David Smiley
> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley
>

>> On Thu, Jul 4, 2019 at 2:53 PM Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
>> I wrote an article at LinkedIN pulse about the release process and the tool:
>> https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/releasing-lucene-just-61-steps-jan-høydahl/
>>
>> --
>> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
>> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>>
>>> 11. jun. 2019 kl. 10:46 skrev Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com>:
>>>
>>> I have now pushed the ReleaseWizard tool in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-8852
>>> Appreciate all kind of feedback!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
>>> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

of continuing discussion in this thread which is about releaseWizard :)

port a fix to multiple branches? Should fixVersion list all of them? Just pick one?

progresses. Will share the code just after I complete all steps.

as RESOLVED for the version and creates two files.
BUG FIXES etc
all issues having the version in fixVersion, even if the feature
way we use JIRA fixVersion, adding both e.g. "master (9.0)" and "8.2"
will be released. If we stop always adding "master" to fixVersion
introduced, then this tool will do the correct job.

important issues, features, and major improvements.".
now), the content of that field will be used in the release notes instead of the JIRA description.
label, by default "backward-incompatible".

the output from the tool to be used as-is, sometimes a major feature spans multiple
the burden of documenting important and breaking changes from release-time to commit-time,
have a weekly job that runs the releasedocmaker and sends the output to dev@ list for active
branches, to keep focus.

to generate the draft, and this could be wired into the releaseWizard tool.

step is to generate release highlights. We should have a JIRA field "release highlight" which,
when populated, will have the text that will be featured in the announce mail and on the website
in news. That way, generating those mails can be semi/fully automated.

and title of the Jira can be used as highlight. This will force the committer to keep meaningful
titles.

I'm also hacking on

4/11)                   │
                           │