lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Białecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Notes from the committers' meeting at Activate 2019
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2019 16:58:38 GMT

> On 16 Sep 2019, at 17:55, Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Committers attending (at least some part of) the meeting, in no particular order:
Erik Hatcher, Anshum Gupta, David Smiley, Gus Heck, Noble Paul, Varun Thacker, Ishan Chattopadhyaya,
Tomás Löbbe, and yours truly.

> Also, Tim Allison, Joel Bernstein, Jason Gerlowski. (Did we miss out
> someone else too?)

Gah, of course, sorry guys - I was even sitting next to them…

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 7:24 AM Andrzej Białecki <ab@getopt.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> Some of the committers attended the Activate 2019 conference, which took place in
Washington, DC on Sep 10-13.

>> The schedule was packed, so we managed to only have a ~1hr meeting during a lunch
break - nonetheless, I think it was still very productive!

>> Committers attending (at least some part of) the meeting, in no particular order:
Erik Hatcher, Anshum Gupta, David Smiley, Gus Heck, Noble Paul, Varun Thacker, Ishan Chattopadhyaya,
Tomás Löbbe, and yours truly.

>> Here are the notes I took - those attending, feel free to clear up any errors, omissions
or misunderstandings.

>> - Clean up tests that needlessly use AbstractDistribZk…
>>    - because this class creates a control collection, which in many cases is not
needed.

>> - Consider reusing a single MiniSolrCloudCluster instance for multiple test suites
>>    - always use unique collection names per suite / test
>>    - some suites won’t be able to use this due to a particular setup or side-effects
(sysprops, expected metrics, etc)
>>    - those that can should execute much faster
>>
>> - Deprecations in 8x - we still need to actually remove the stuff from master:
>>    - old blob store
>>    - old spatial
>>    - other things?
>>
>> - Replace NamedList with MapWriter?
>>    - avoid creating objects during serialization
>>    - big undertaking, but transition piece by piece
>>    - example: ExportHandler / ExportWriter
>>    - new API should use MapWriter instead of NamedList / Map
>>    - public API changes have to go through deprecation in 8x and removal only in
9

>> - We have three different and partially incomplete faceting impls
>>    - do we want to do something about it to reduce confusion and code footprint?
>>
>> - V2 APIs are incomplete, there’s no workflow to maintain them in sync with v1.
Proposed strategy to improve this: