lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Notes from the committers' meeting at Activate 2019
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2019 19:57:17 GMT
Is there any reason at all that we need to hold on to JIRA? ASF allows us to move all issue
handling over to GH, I'd like us to consider such a move.

Until then, I made a script that "diffs" GH and JIRA and outputs a report, see https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/tree/master/dev-tools/scripts#githubprspy

Running the tool shows that we're not very successful in keeping the two in sync, we also
forget to close PRs after JIRAs are resolved:

$ ./githubPRs.py
Lucene/Solr Github PR report
============================
Number of open Pull Requests: 208

PRs lacking JIRA reference in title
  #882: Add versions.lock entry for "org.apache.yetus:audience-annotations"
  #880: Tweak header format.
  [… many more ]

Open PRs with a resolved JIRA
  #723: SOLR-13545 status=Closed, resolution=Fixed, resolutiondate=2019-06-22T13:04:47.000+0000
(SOLR-13545: AutoClose stream in ContentStreamUpdateRequest)
  #643: SOLR-13391 status=Resolved, resolution=Resolved, resolutiondate=2019-04-12T14:09:27.000+0000
(SOLR-13391: Add variance and standard deviation stream evaluators)
  [… many more]

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 16. sep. 2019 kl. 20:57 skrev Andrzej Białecki <ab@getopt.org>:
>

>> On 16 Sep 2019, at 19:38, Yonik Seeley <yseeley@gmail.com <mailto:yseeley@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> >  - PR is opened - should automatically create a jira if it doesn’t exist yet
>>
>> What were the reasons behind this? Shouldn't a JIRA just be optional if we started
with a PR?

> That’s why we need to discuss this :)
>
> I remember that at some point ASF treated JIRA as the system of record for the legal
validation of contributions.

> I also remember that at some point we used to say that if a discussion didn’t happen
in JIRA then it didn’t exist, and that any decisions regarding code should be recorded in
JIRA because we can’t expect people to monitor and contribute / object to decisions happening
elsewhere.