lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: log4j-slf4j-impl dependency in solr-core
Date Sat, 14 Sep 2019 10:23:06 GMT
Slf4j-api and log4j dependencies are ok. But the slf4j-to-log4j static binding jar should be
in the deploy phase, not a compile-time dep.

Jan Høydahl

> 11. sep. 2019 kl. 17:40 skrev Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org>:
>
>> On 9/11/2019 4:45 AM, Jan Høydahl wrote:
>> Upgrading to log4j2 in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-7887 added dependency
on a bunch of log4j libs to solr-core, e.g. log4j-slf4j-impl which is a binding for slf4j
to log using log4j.
>> This seems wrong since people who consume solr-core through Maven should be able
to freely choose logging framework by throwing in the desired static binding jars on classpath.
>> Now you need to <exclude>org.apache.logging.log4j:log4j-slf4j-impl</exclude>
in your solr-core dependency which is a workaround but not in the true spirit of slf4j.
>> WDYT? Shawn?
>
> I think it's correct for the Solr server to depend on log4j libraries by default.  The
only logging implementation that the admin UI supports is log4j.  If somebody running our
binary release wants to use a different logging implementation on the server side (knowing
that they can't access logging in the admin UI), that can be done by replacing jars in lib/ext.
 Which jars to add and remove is specific to the desired logging implementation.  The ref
guide probably does need some info there.

> If there are any users that integrate solr-core into their own code, it's currently a
bit of a land-mine situation to change logging implementations.  If there's a way we can include
log4j jars at build time, but remove the log4j dependency on the published solr-core artifact,
that might work well.  We should do our best to make it so people can use EmbeddedSolrServer
without log4j jars.

> If solrj depends on log4j jars, that's a problem.  It should only depend on slf4j-api.
 I believe this is the way it works now.  For the majority of user code, solrj is what they'll
use.

> The log4j-slf4j-impl jar contains the org.slf4j.impl package, with 3 classes.  It also
contains the org.apache.logging.slf4j package, with 7 classes.

> Unless my investigation was flawed, only one of the 3 classes in org.sl4j.impl is used
in Solr code, and it's in exactly two places: LogWatcher and StartupLoggingUtils.

> The two classes that are used everywhere across Solr are in the org.slf4j package, named
Logger and LoggerFactory.  I checked the WEB-INF/lib directory in the solr-8.2.0 download
and could not find any jars related to logging ... and I expected to find one, preferably
sl4fj-api directly from slf4j.org.  Instead, that jar is in lib/ext with the log4j jars.
That location doesn't seem right, as slf4j-api is ALWAYS required by Solr, regardless of the
logging implementation that's in use.

> The slf4j-api dependency only provides part of what's used in Solr server-side code,
but it SHOULD fully satisfy compiling dependencies for solrj.  Prior to version 7.4, the org.slf4j.impl
package (for server-side code only) was supplied by the slf4j-log4j12 jar, which came from
the slf4j project.  This is the jar that links slf4j and log4j1. For log4j2, classes in that
package come from Apache, not slf4j.