lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Moving Lucene web site to git and .asf.yaml
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2019 18:46:34 GMT
I just wanted to kickstart the discussion and let you know what exists, and INFRA just happens
to support Pelican ootb.
Pelican also supports asciidoc through a plugin plugin https://github.com/getpelican/pelican-plugins/tree/master/asciidoc_reader,
but our current web site is already in MD and I suppose it would be much quicker to just convert
the pages into Pelican template syntax as is to complete the move to git, and then we could
iterate from there. Jekyll would work too, but we'd need to provide the tooling and build
infrastructure as well as rewrite all pages from md to asciidoc which suddenly becomes a quite
much bigger project..

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 19. sep. 2019 kl. 15:39 skrev Cassandra Targett <casstargett@gmail.com>:
>
> Sort of playing devil’s advocate for sake of discussion, why would we pick Pelican
static site generator over Jekyll static site generator which we already use for the Ref Guide?
Why would we stay with Markdown when we already know that Asciidoc is a much more expressive
markup language that we already use for hundreds of pages of content?

> I know nothing about Pelican - your mail is the first I heard of it - so asking that
really just as a way to get more info for why you prefer it.

> Assuming we move to a world where something like the Ref Guide is simply “website content”,
I could see it becoming burdensome to generate HTML files with 2 different systems in 2 different
formats, etc. Is that a valid concern or not something you’re worried about?