lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.3.0 RC2
Date Sun, 03 Nov 2019 19:35:51 GMT
In my opinion it would have been better to delay the release announcement another day in order
to collect release-notes feedback, than to rush it out.
But apology is accepted :) Being RM during such a stressful week is not ideal. You did well.
Looking forward to more detailed feedback regarding ReleaseWizard!

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 3. nov. 2019 kl. 18:42 skrev Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com>:
>
>> according to lucene’s release todo the rm must send a [RESULT][VOTE] email.
> You're wrong.
>
> The Lucene's Release TODO page says this:
> "Announce that the vote has passed on the dev mailing list, ideally
> with subject beginning [RESULT]"
>
> ^ I did announce on dev list that the vote passed. It wasn't done "ideally" ;-)
>
> On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 11:03 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
> <ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Jan, for the encouragement and for the release wizard tool.
>> All of last week, I was battling several personal emergencies as well as professional
responsibilities. I was so short on time that I cut some corners (in the following two places),
*deliberately*.

>> 1. I checked how often have we sent out a vote results thread in the past, and it
was only a handful of times; hence I skipped it.
>> 2. I had to run the build and publish script at least 4-5 times before the stars
aligned (tests passed, i was ready at the exact moment GPG prompt appears for password etc).
That left me so exhausted that i deferred the preparation of draft notes for a later moment.
Also, after the Moin Moin to confluence migration, I spent at least 15-20 minutes to figure
out how to create a release notes page at the right place. Manually curating the draft highlights/notes
is the most labour intensive task and I propose some automation banking on a Jira field.

>> Since there was no chance for community to weigh in on the notes before it was released,
i apologize for any mistakes in doing so. Here they are:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/ReleaseNote83
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/ReleaseNote83
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ishan
>>
>> On Sun, 3 Nov, 2019, 2:27 PM Jan Høydahl, <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ishan,
>>>
>>> Congrats with the release!
>>>
>>> I may have missed it, but where were the draft release notes for review and comments,
I was waiting for an invitation...

>>> And how many +1 PMC votes were there? I’m not in doubt that the vote passed,
but according to lucene’s release todo the rm must send a [RESULT][VOTE] email.