lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Noble Paul <noble.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SolrCloud is sick.
Date Sat, 02 Nov 2019 23:31:54 GMT
Hi,

I believe there is a consensus on what is wrong with the way we have built
the cluster state and overseer. We need to focus a bit more on the design
aspect. Design, according to me, has the following elements:

* How does it work?

* What are the performance characteristics? Can it be done more efficiently?

* What are the public touch points?

** Which are the files we store in ZK? Are they expected to be watched
always?

** Or are they read on demand?

** The public APIs. Does it make sense to the user? Can it be further
simplified? How does it compare to the other APIs in the system?

We, as a community, do a bad job in dealing with these. While we focus on
internal things, these are not discussed before it is too late. We usually
do coding, tests, code review (sometimes) and commit. This leads to huge
technical debt.

This is not to put blame on one person or a group of people. (I
occasionally see people discussing design issues upfront, I just hope that
is the norm.)

Now, why am I discussing this in this thread?

While we agree there are problems, we are trying to solve the problem using
the same process we used to create these problems. Again, I'm not
questioning the intent or competence of anyone. Unless we set the process
right, we are doomed to make the same mistakes again.

I whole heartedly endorse any effort to improve SolrCloud/overseer. At the
same time I fail to see us leveraging the collective experience of our
community through meaningful discussion.

I hope we don't resort to personal attacks and use this as an opportunity
to improve our processes.
Thanks