lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ichattopadhy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 8.3.0 RC2
Date Sun, 03 Nov 2019 17:42:45 GMT
> according to lucene’s release todo the rm must send a [RESULT][VOTE] email.
You're wrong.

The Lucene's Release TODO page says this:
"Announce that the vote has passed on the dev mailing list, ideally
with subject beginning [RESULT]"

^ I did announce on dev list that the vote passed. It wasn't done "ideally" ;-)

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 11:03 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya
<ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Jan, for the encouragement and for the release wizard tool.
> All of last week, I was battling several personal emergencies as well as professional
responsibilities. I was so short on time that I cut some corners (in the following two places),
*deliberately*.

> 1. I checked how often have we sent out a vote results thread in the past, and it was
only a handful of times; hence I skipped it.
> 2. I had to run the build and publish script at least 4-5 times before the stars aligned
(tests passed, i was ready at the exact moment GPG prompt appears for password etc). That
left me so exhausted that i deferred the preparation of draft notes for a later moment. Also,
after the Moin Moin to confluence migration, I spent at least 15-20 minutes to figure out
how to create a release notes page at the right place. Manually curating the draft highlights/notes
is the most labour intensive task and I propose some automation banking on a Jira field.

> Since there was no chance for community to weigh in on the notes before it was released,
i apologize for any mistakes in doing so. Here they are:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/ReleaseNote83
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/ReleaseNote83
>
> Regards,
> Ishan
>
> On Sun, 3 Nov, 2019, 2:27 PM Jan Høydahl, <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ishan,
>>
>> Congrats with the release!
>>
>> I may have missed it, but where were the draft release notes for review and comments,
I was waiting for an invitation...