lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Cassandra Targett <casstarg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr: "Upgrade Notes" no longer in CHANGES.txt; See Ref Guide
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2020 19:55:17 GMT
Thanks David, that helps.

For sure we’ll have a separate page for 9.0, likely along the lines as we have for 6, 7,
and 8. Maybe also starting in 9.0 I’ll revisit the idea of doing separate upgrade note pages
too, but won’t do it now.
On Mar 3, 2020, 4:10 PM -0600, David Smiley <david.w.smiley@gmail.com>, wrote:

> > On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 4:35 PM Cassandra Targett <casstargett@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > The Release Notes (feature/improvement highlights) will still be in CWIKI,
right (even if just for now)?

> > Yes I think so.  This really should be strictly a major highlights kind of info
-- somewhat brief.  We rely on the ref guide + CHANGES.txt for deeper info.

> > > Do we want to try to include the Version of Major Components section in the
Ref Guide, or are we dropping it entirely?

> > Drop entirely IMO.  We have separate pages with info for ZK & Java which are
probably the only pertinent version numbers of related software.

> > > Do we want to try to separate out the upgrade notes for each version into separate
pages at this point, or also save that as a possibility for later?

changes to CHANGES.txt maintenance: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14149
In particular I want to draw attention to the move of the "upgrade notes" subject to be strictly
in the Solr Ref Guide which goes here: https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/solr/solr-ref-guide/src/solr-upgrade-notes.adoc
You can see the PR to see what it looks like.  I repeat, NO MORE adding upgrade notes to
the top of CHANGES.txt.  If you have opposing views on this, please speak up in JIRA.  I
plan to commit the issue in a couple days.