lucene-general mailing list archives

From "Yannis Pavlidis" <ypavli...@me.dium.com>
Subject how to control the disk size of the indices
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:33:26 GMT

Hi all,

I wanted to ask the list whether there is an easy and efficient way to manage the size (in
bytes) of a lucene index stored on disk.

Basically I would like to limit lucene storing only 100 GB of information. When lucene reaches
that limit then I would delete the documents (using an LRU algorithm based on timestaps) but
in no case the disk space occupied by Lucene should exceed 100GB.

I experimented with lucene 2.3.1 and the only I could accomplish that was by calling the optimize
method (after the index size exceeded the max size) on the IndexWriter. I was looking for
a more performant way to "perhaps control" Lucene on when to merge the segments so as to not
exceed the pre-set limit.

Any ideas or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Yannis.