lucene-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Lucene vs Sphinx
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:52:09 GMT
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:20:04AM -0800, Ashwin Jayaprakash wrote:
> The results here might prove useful -
> http://zooie.wordpress.com/2009/07/06/a-comparison-of-open-source-search-engines-and-indexing-twitter/

They're totally worthless.

    One key design decision I made was not to change any numerical tuning
    parameters. I really wanted to test “Out of the Box” performance to
    simulate the common developer scenario. Plus, it takes forever to optimize
    parameters fairly across multiple platforms and different data sets esp.
    for an over-the-weekend benchmark (see disclaimer in the Conclusion
    section).

If you're not going to tune your installation, you deserve the crappy
performance you'll get.

Exposing shoddy, weekender foolishness like this is why I want ORP to do
scientifically rigorous performance benchmarking as well as relevance
benchmarking.

Marvin Humphrey