lucene-general mailing list archives

From Mark Bennett <mark.benn...@lucidworks.com>
Subject Re: relative document path in lucene index
Date Sat, 05 Apr 2014 21:36:49 GMT
As I understand it (?), there are 2 technical things you’re asking about:

1: Can you move an index from one place to another, a different disk or drive letter, CD,
etc - Generally yes, this is allowed.

2: Can you alter the path names stored within the index - in some cases yes, but I was suggesting
a 2 index solution.

Taking each in turn:

For item 1, moving an index.  A Solr “core” includes its configuration and its index data.
 The paths are almost always relative; all the cores sit under a common “solr home” directory,
and they can be moved, copied, zipped/unzipped, etc.

With Lucene, the coder has more control so things can vary, but within the base index directory
I don’t believe there’s any absolute path names; all the files are in the same index directory.
 So unless something very unusual has been done, it should be OK to move the files as a set.

For item 2, Solr lets you update specific fields in a document.  But in the background, it’s
actually still doing a full reindex, but for any fields you don’t update it copies and reindexes
them from the old copy.  I believe these Solr calls map to Lucene calls, and therefore should
generally be the same rules.  This requires that fields be stored.  So you could do this with
1 index.  My only concern was that, with 1 index, you might only get one chance to get it
right; the 2 index solution gives you some insurance to retry, iterate, adjust, etc.

--
Mark Bennett / LucidWorks: Search & Big Data / mark.bennett@lucidworks.com
Office: 408-898-4201 / Telecommute: 408-733-0387 / Cell: 408-829-6513