lucene-general mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release PyLucene 4.8.0-1
Date Thu, 01 May 2014 03:11:04 GMT

  Hi Steve,

Thank you for your vote. Comments inline.

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014, Steve Rowe wrote:

> +1 to release.
>
> pylucene 4.8.0-1?s ?make test? succeeded after building and installing JCC, and then
building pylucene.

> I had a bunch of problems getting the JCC build to work on OS X 10.9.2.
>
> In a recent email thread, Andi said "Mavericks + command line tools + oracle java 7 is
the combination I use for development and it seems to work fine.?  I too have this same combination,
but it didn?t work for me using Homebrew python 4.7 or the stock python 4.7.

> This sequence worked for me:
>
> 1. Prefixed the JVMVersion <string> in /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0.jdk/Contents/Info.plist
with an exclamation point, to get /usr/libexec/java_home to think Java 7 is the most recent.
> 2. Installed the most recent command line developer tools.
> 3. Compiled Python 2.7.6 from source, which used clang masquerading as gcc.
> 4. Installed gcc with Homebrew and symlinked gcc and g++ to gcc-4.8 and g++-4.8 in /usr/local/bin/.
>
> I?m not sure which of step #'s 1-3 were required, if any ? I didn?t feel like going back
and trying different combinations ? but #4 was required, which seems strange, since AFAICT
the jcc build should have been using the same compiler as the built-from-source Python.  Before
I did step #4, I was getting exactly the same build error as reported in other threads about
this problem:

> ld: internal error: atom not found in symbolIndex(__ZN7JNIEnv_13CallIntMethodEP8_jobjectP10_jmethodIDz)
for architecture x86_64

That most likely points at a mismatch between the Java header files
picked up by the C/C++ compiler and the Java libraries picked up by the
linker.
The safe way to ensure these match, is to set JAVA_HOME before rebuilding
JCC and PyLucene.

Andi..

> Steve
>
> On Apr 30, 2014, at 5:07 PM, Andi Vajda <vajda@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> The PyLucene 4.8.0-1 release tracking the recent release of Apache Lucene 4.8.0 is
ready.

>> ******* <ATTENTION> *******
>>
>> Starting with release 4.8.0, Lucene now requires Java 1.7 at the minimum.
>> Using Java 1.6 with Lucene 4.8.0 is not supported.
>>
>> On Mac OS X, Java 6 is still a common default, please upgrade if you haven't done
so already. A common upgrade is Oracle Java 1.7 for Mac OS X: