lucene-general mailing list archives

From Mark Bennett <mark.benn...@lucidworks.com>
Subject Re: Does solr 4.8.1 support these features?
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2014 14:23:51 GMT
Derek,

Yes, you have several options.

1: You can maintain the 3 separate indexes, what Solr would typically call a "collection"

2: You could also combine the data into one larger collection and use a field to filter on.

3: A third option is to keep them separate (as in 1), but if you occasionally want to search
all 3 you can do that as well from a single search with collection=.  Or if using SolrCloud
you can also create a collection alias.  So this way you can easily search just 1 collection,
or all 3, by changing just 1 parameter.

--
Mark Bennett / LucidWorks: Search & Big Data / mark.bennett@lucidworks.com
Office: 408-898-4201 / Telecommute: 408-733-0387 / Cell: 408-829-6513

On Jun 10, 2014, at 9:03 PM, Derek Poh <dpoh@globalsources.com> wrote:

> Mark
>
> Looks like "edismax"support it, will read moreon it.
>
> Onour current search application, we have a couple of indexes, each on specific typesof
data.
> Eg. 1 index of product data, 1 index on supplier data, 1 index on category data.
> We query against eachindex for different searches (like product search or supplier search).
> It is commonly refer to as application/pipeline in Endeca.
>
> Does solr support such setup?
>

> On 6/11/2014 6:23 AM, Mark Bennett wrote:
>> Derek,
>>
>> The "edismax" parser is pretty amazing.  If I understand your questions, I think
the answer is yes.

>> When people tune relevancy sometimes they apply very strong rules, they "yell" at
the engine.  But it sounds like you already have a good instinct, to "whisper" at Relevancy,
at least at the start, and to think in terms of tie breakers.

>> When you specify the fields that edismax is to search, you can give each of them
a different weights.  I think this will do most of what you want.

>> Whether matches are combined via addition or multiplication can be controlled with
different options in edismax, although sometimes you have to do a bit of reading and experimenting.

>> Another trick that I sometimes use is to use copyField so that the same field is
indexed several different ways.  Then, the indexed field with an exact match is given a weight
of 1.0, vs. a "fuzzy" match (for example with synonyms / thesaurus) is given only a weight
of 0.5 or 0.3

>> --
>> Mark Bennett / LucidWorks: Search & Big Data / mark.bennett@lucidworks.com
>> Office: 408-898-4201 / Telecommute: 408-733-0387 / Cell: 408-829-6513
>>
>> On Jun 10, 2014, at 12:26 AM, Derek Poh <dpoh@globalsources.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mark
>>>
>>> Appreciate you taking the time to reply and with references.
>>>
>>> Regarding 3. Configure and defined the relevance ranking and matching logic of
the return result.

>>> Can each search handler be configure to
>>> - search on a few fields
>>> - assign a numeric rank to each of the field, such that a match on a field with
the highest rank will rank the document higher in the return search result.
>>> - the ranking of each field will also act as tie-breaker.
>>> Eg.
>>> Category = 3
>>> SPPKeyWord= 2
>>> KeySpecification= 1
>>>
>>> Document that has match on field Category will be ranked higher in the result
than document that has match on SPPKeyWord.
>>> Document that has match only on field KeySpecification willrank the lowest in
the result.

to replace our current Endeca application.

id), can the results be aggregated by supplier id with the original results ordering retain.

values countsin the return results.

for each value(in bracket). Can the field be return in the result with it's values sorted
either by description or bycounts?

can have its own edismax configuration.

and not the simplistic "CJK"; SmartCN actually looks for Chinese language word breaks using
statistical methods, and therefore should give better results.

to increase by more than 10 folds in the near future.
it has enough RAM and doesn't have a lot of other stuff running.

privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this e-mail
in error, please inform the sender immediately and delete this e-mail (including any attachments)
from your computer, and you must not use, disclose to anyone else or copy this e-mail (including
any attachments), whether in whole or in part.
regulatory compliance and/or other appropriate reasons.