lucene-general mailing list archives

From Charlie Hull <char...@flax.co.uk>
Subject Re: features of Apache Solr
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2020 16:20:41 GMT
Hi,

Yes, Solr can search all the content you mention, but to do so you'll
have to extract the content and push it into Solr. This is done using
'connectors' and there are various open source and commercial
alternatives: too many to list here but I'd take a look at Apache
ManifoldCF as a starting point. Solr itself doesn't come with any of
these built in.

Solr doesn't cost anything to download - it's freely available under an
open source license. However there are certainly other costs to
consider: if you don't have the skills in-house you'll need to train
your team or hire someone (which might be hard as those with these
skills are rare and well-paid) or engage a consultancy (disclaimer: I
work for OpenSource Connections which is one of these consultancies). As
to operation, you'll need to host it somewhere but that's the only cost
you'll have apart from the people who'll run it.

As it seems you're at the start of your journey I can recommend you a
few resources:
- the free Search Insights reports (2018, 2019, 2020) linked from
https://opensourceconnections.com/blog/2020/02/27/search-insights-2020-a-new-report-from-the-search-network/

have a wealth of information on planning and running search projects
including directories
- https://manifoldcf.apache.org/

Cheers

Charlie