lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Victor Hadianto <vict...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: Locking with IndexWriter
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 00:04:47 GMT
On Thu, 23 May 2002 10:05, you wrote:
> > I modified FSDirectory as follow so it works in our environment. Please
> > comment on this change and just slam me if this is blatantly against
> > lucene framework :D
>
> I'm not too familiar with the source of Lucene. But I'm pondering
> your suggested solution. Wouldn't wait/notify semantics be a better
> solution? Have a writer specify the max amount of time it will wait
> before failing. When a writer relases a lock it should call notify();
> rather than notifyAll(); in order to minimize the amount of actively
> competing processes and polling.

That's an interesting suggestion, I will have a thought on that one. Thanks

> Alternatively, you could use your routine in your bean.

Hm unfortunately even using Lucene with EJB already skirting with danger :D.
With EJB aren't we not supposed to do our own threads management? The EJB
container suppose to do all that for us. Well so far we haven't found any
issues (yet). We are crossing our fingers.

regards,

--
Victor Hadianto