lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <li...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Date fields (was: Re: Range queries)
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:59:32 GMT
Again my apologies to Terry who was patient and confident despite my
misunderstanding.

I saw a change earlier today (on lucene-dev) with the QueryParser
syntax updated with more details on the range query format.  I think
the ambiguity of saying a "date field" is still there though, since the
Field.Keyword construct supports Date natively now as well as homegrown
YYYYMMDD String fields.

My question now is: what benefit is the Field.Keyword(String,Date) if
its easier to deal with dates in YYYYMMDD format?

Its nice that QueryParser can deal with that type of field using the
SHORT DateFormat - so I can see a slight advantage when QueryParser is
involved to representing dates as Date's rather than String's, but the
range query constraints of the open-ended begin or end dates negate
that benefit it seems.

I'm just trying to understand in more detail the finer points of Lucene
so that I can make more effective use of its features as well as help
educate others on it.

	Erik