lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Eric Isakson" <Eric.Isak...@sas.com>
Subject RE: Is the searched string 'on' a special case ?
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2003 18:32:51 GMT
Assuming you are using StandardAnalyzer, the default stop words are:

    public static final String[] STOP_WORDS = {
	"a", "and", "are", "as", "at", "be", "but", "by",
	"for", "if", "in", "into", "is", "it",
	"no", "not", "of", "on", "or", "s", "such",
	"t", "that", "the", "their", "then", "there", "these",
	"they", "this", "to", "was", "will", "with"
    };

Your "state" field must not be built with StandardAnalyzer or ON would have been removed by
the analyzer when you created the field. It looks like you will need to use lower level APIs
than QueryParser to create your Query object or don't use the default stop words.

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Alain Lauzon [mailto:alauzon@libertefinanciere.com]
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 1:23 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Is the searched string 'on' a special case ?

I have an index wtih many fields, and specially, one for company name and
one for state.

When I search for :
+company:"inc"~100

I get 114 results from 2 states, HI (Hawaii) and ON (Ontario).

If I search for :
+state:hi +company:"inc"~100

I get 7 results for Hawaii.

But when I search for:
+state:on +company:"inc"~100

I get no results at all for Ontario.

So what is going on ? I tried with many other states and all are working,
but not 'on'.
Is 'on' a special case ? Like on/off ?

Alain Lauzon
alauzon@libertefinanciere.com