lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <li...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Range queries
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 04:28:18 GMT
So you are using 1.3dev1?

I'm not having the same effect you are - and looking at QueryParser.jj
it does this:

   private Query getRangeQuery(String field,
                               Analyzer analyzer,
                               String part1,
                               String part2,
                               boolean inclusive)
   {
     boolean isDate = false, isNumber = false;

     try {
       DateFormat df = DateFormat.getDateInstance(DateFormat.SHORT);
       df.setLenient(true);
       Date d1 = df.parse(part1);
       Date d2 = df.parse(part2);
       part1 = DateField.dateToString(d1);
       part2 = DateField.dateToString(d2);
       isDate = true;
     }
     catch (Exception e) { }
.
.
.
   }

I get all documents if I use "date:[0 TO 20021231]" but none if I do
"date:[20020101 TO null]", and from the code I'm surmising I'm just
lucky in the first case because its using a string range query and they
all just happen to fall in that range (all dateToString's begin with
"0").  In the second case I'm getting nothing because no dateToString's
are in that range textually.

So are you certain you're seeing the results you report?  I cannot
explain the results you see from the code above.  Maybe I'm way off in
my understanding of this - but I really don't see how YYYYMMDD works
accurately.  DateFormat.parse throws an exception on strings in that
format (using DateFormat.SHORT), so QueryParser would never think its
really a date and convert it properly to its string representation.

Ah, maybe its how we are indexing our fields differently?  How are you
indexing your my_date_field?  I'm using this syntax:

	Field.Keyword(fieldName, new Date(....))

Maybe you are indexing it as a String with "YYYYMMDD" format?  If so,
that explains it.

	Erik