lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Hamish Carpenter <ham...@catalyst.net.nz>
Subject Re: File Handle Resource Usage
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:35:17 GMT
We had a similar problem (under linux) but have had no issues during
testing on windows.

We did two things to solve the problem:
1) Increase the file limit for the program to 4096.  The alleviated but
did not completely solve the problem.  Under stress testing we would
still fall short of the maximum number of file handles.
2) Implemented a cached IndexSearcher.  This is using Peter Halacsy's
IndexSearcherCache slightly modified to be a singleton and return cached
searchers for a given directory. This code was found in the list archives.

More optimisation and a lower marge factor will help things but the
files open will skyrocket when you have simultaneous searches each using
its own IndexSearcher.

HTH

Hamish