lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Lukas Zapletal <l...@root.cz>
Subject Stop-word in phrase (BUG?)
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:32:33 GMT
Hello partisans!

My friend (Michael) and me have found a bug (probably). Try this:

Index some text with english (or any) stop-words. Test it. Then.
Try to find a PHRASE (with double quotes) from the text WITH a
stop-word, for example:

Text is: 'I can not trust person called Gates and selling Windows.'

Query is: "gates and selling"
(with quotes coz we`re searching for whole phrase!)

In this phrase word 'and' occurs which is a stop-word.

Notice *NOTHING* is found. Now try this:

"gates selling"

Bingo, document is found. I think there is a bug. When stop-word is
removed from query, double spaces are there. Because the text is
indexed: 'trust person called gates selling windows' Lucene finds
nothing. But when you remove the spaces it finds it.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

The problem could be these spaces or something else. I did not study the
sources. Can anybody look at it? I have a big exam tomorrow and I must
study. I need to fix it because my project is finishing and it uses
great Lucene.
--
Lukas Zapletal      [lzap@root.cz]
http://www.tanecni-olomouc.cz/lzap