lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Hui Ouyang" <...@triplehop.com>
Subject RE: Interpreting the score asociated with the Term? |
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:58:58 GMT
Is it possible to access each individual frequency in the score formula so I could calculate
and show the score for each of the sub query?
Regards,
Hui

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Otis Gospodnetic [mailto:otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com]
	Sent: Thu 1/23/2003 10:58 AM
	To: Lucene Users List; r_bajpai@lycos.com
	Subject: Re: Interpreting the score asociated with the Term? |

	Here is a simplified explanation of some basic stuff.

	1. the more frequent the term (in a collection) the lower its weight
	(significance).  Makes sense - very popular words don't distinguish one
	document from the other much, because they are present in so many docs.

	2. the more frequent a word in a single document, the higher the
	documents 'value' when the query contains that word.  So the score goes
	up for frequent words in a document, esp. if they are not frequent in
	other documents in the collection.

	3. there is a boost factor which allow you to boost certain terms at
	query time (e.g. you value matches in title field more than the body
	field?  boost title field queries)

	4. normalization factor, I believe, normalizes things so that longer
	documents don't have advantage over shorter ones.

	There is more to this....but I am already not 100% about all of the
	above, so I'll stop here :)

	Also note that you can boost fields at index time (you'll have to use
	the nightly build for that instead of the 1.2 release to get this, I
	believe).

	Otis