lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Leo Galambos <galam...@com-os2.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
Subject Re: Computing Relevancy Differently
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 19:15:12 GMT
> What's next? Seems that I'm getting a message: "Figure it out on your own,
> you dummy."

And from your letter I understood that you want someone to do your
homework (for nothing). :) Right?

One would say: ask not what others can do for you, ask what you can do for
them.

> >you must understand what you are doing
>
> ==>which I don't, as I've already stated several times.

It is hard for me to tell anything. AFAIK (friendly speaking) Lucene does
not offer click-click interface...

> >and you must change similarity calculations.
>
> ==>which means what? Is that part of Lucene?

Doug told it few days ago, I hope it is still in Similarity.java file.

> >AFAIK you would set the normalization factor to a constant value (1.0 or
> so).
>
> ==>Does this mean not to use boost?

I am not God. The final decision is yours.

> ==>I didn't know I was excluding one for the other.  Do I interpret all this
> to mean Lucene can't be adjusted to do what I was asking?  That it's too
> complicated?

It means, Lucene offers much more than you want => you can use a simpler
package that can be configured faster. I.e. UdmSearch uses a simple SQL
query...

-g-