lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <a...@osafoundation.org>
Subject Re: 'db' sandbox contribution update
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:02:37 GMT

> Hmmm... out of curiosity... any reason not to use the Berkeley DB Java
> Edition instead of the Java API to C Berkeley DB?
>
> http://www.sleepycat.com/products/je.shtml

Well, normally, if you're in a 100% Java situation, you could use the Berkeley
DB Java edition instead. I'm not. I'm using the same code with Chandler, a
python program, and PyLucene (http://pylucene.osafoundation.org).
Chandler and PyLucene share the same database environment and this can only be
done if the C edition of Berkeley DB is the underlying db implementation.

There are three Java APIs for Berkeley DB available now:
    - Java API for C Berkeley DB 4.2.x
    - Java API for C Berkeley DB 4.3.x
    - Berkeley DB 100% Java Edition

These APIs are different from each other although 4.3.x and 100% Java are
close. Many months ago, somebody contacted me about rewriting DbDirectory for
the Java Edition of Berkeley DB, but I haven't heard from him in a long long
while.

Andi..