lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Search result snippets?
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 00:41:18 GMT
Look for the Highlighter in contrib/ to get this effect:

http://www.lucenebook.com/search?query=highlighter+fragment

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Dan Frankowski <dfrankow@cs.umn.edu>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Wed Jan  4 18:04:33 2006
Subject: Search result snippets?

Folks,

I'm a Lucene newbie, and I've been searching awhile today to answer this
question. Googled, read Lucene FAQ, looked at Javadoc for Document and
Hits, etc.

How would you implement "snippets" with Lucene? A snippet is some text
around parts of the text that caused a match, with the search matches in
bold. For example, the supporting text in Google searches. A snippet is
NOT a document summary, which has a FAQ entry and someone answered about
on this email list.

I can store the full text in Lucene, but then when I get the match back,
it seems as if I'd have to reimplement the query matcher if I wanted to
know which things matched.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dan