lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: boosting results with a field from the index
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:26:27 GMT
Hi Klaus,

You might want to just set the boost value of the Document using your
importance number, then Lucene will factor that in automatically when
scoring.  See the Document#setBoost javadoc for info.

You could also sort on the field, I think, so that the more important
docs come to the top.

-Grant

Klaus Hubert wrote:

>Hi and a Happy New Year!
>
>I created a lucene index with 2 fields (text and importance). The text contains the real
text and importance is a field where I manually give a number between 1 and 5 for the related
document. When I search the index I find the documents with the highest revelancy weighted
automatically by lucene. I'm just wondering if I can boost the results with the importance
field I already have stored in the index. As I result I expect the same search results just
weighted differently. Something like relevancy multiplied by importance.

>Thank you so much,
>
>  Klaus
>

>---------------------------------
>Yahoo! Photos
> Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

Grant Ingersoll
Sr. Software Engineer
Center for Natural Language Processing
Syracuse University