lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: NO_NORMS and TOKENIZED?
Date Fri, 26 Jan 2007 19:50:08 GMT
Funny, I was looking to do the same thing the other day and gave up thinking it wasn't possible,
not being aware of setOmitNorms().  Yeah, a javadoc patch would be welcome.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Nadav Har'El <nyh@math.technion.ac.il>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 10:49:33 AM
Subject: Re: NO_NORMS and TOKENIZED?

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007, Yonik Seeley wrote about "Re: NO_NORMS and TOKENIZED?":
> >When adding a field to a document, Field.Index gives me four options: NO,
> >NO_NORMS, TOKENIZED and UN_TOKENIZED.
>..
> >What can I do if I want to index the field's value *with* an Analyzer, but
> >still disable the storing of norms (because the field length should not be
> >considered in scoring)?
> I hadn't added a Field.Index option at all, and Doug suggested
> NO_NORMS, probably because it's mostly harmless to new users who might
> disable length normalization without realizing the implications.
>
> For other fields, I prefer use of setOmitNorms()

Thanks! I wasn't aware of this method. It's exactly what I needed.

I never thought of trying to modify the Field after construction...
Perhaps the NO_NORMS javadoc should refer to setOmitNorms()? (Or I should
learn to search the documentation better :-)).

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Tuesday, Jan 23 2007, 4 Shevat 5767
http://nadav.harel.org.il           |yesterday, and now you know why.